• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Additional Throttle Return Spring

Packfan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone considered or added an additional throttle return spring to there ride to serve as a safety feature? I have seen the "spring inside of a spring" setups before on some more modern vehicles. Just seems weird that the single spring is the only thing holding the throttle plates from falling open if it were to break especially with the trans linkage weight giving it a slight tug when it over-centers. I hate to think how one of the kids would react to the wide open throttle situation if it were to happen! Thoughts?

Yes, I’ve done that.

I have dual springs on everything but the Hemi. The throttle pedal is already so stiff on it that I hate to add another.

I ran 4 on my AMX........ and used keychain "circles" at each end looped through the spring as to not trust the "hooks"

401b.jpg

Had a spring break at least once in the last few decades, one was on my elder brother's GTO I took for a ride w/o his ok. lol. Was informed at some time in my youth about this possible hazard...if it happens, ya kill the motor fast. I had a 2nd spring on my '63 taking it off cuz the pedal was too dang stiff and forgot about it until reading this post. There's an applicable spring to be had, got to remember to find one.
Side note: My dad had a collection of springs in the garage. Finding a duplicate, I put it on my brother's ride when I got back. I confessed to taking his goat out for a spin some 10 years later.

Yep, once you break one at full throttle then get to listen to your engine diesel away after the power is cut off you go with 2 from then on.
Plus on the auto trans cars you need a light spring on the transmission rod pulling back towards the bell crank.

I am running the stock spring called out for my car. Anyone have a part number or the correct spring that is being used?

20230626_194411[1].jpg

i don't use dual springs for single carb stuff. i use factory stuff and am satisfied with feel and safety. i have 3 springs on my dual quads but that's one for each carb and one for kickdown linkage. i really believe the spring breaking thing could be stretching a short spring too far and fatiguing the metal and aftermarket stuff more likely than not is not as good as OEM. there also is a throttle shaft wear factor on higher spring pressures. some of all this could be personal choice and some sanctioning rules. i'd suggest trying several combinations to get a good comfort level with the throttle.

Could one of you post a picture of your spring inside a spring please? I have never seen one and it sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back