• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on Compression Ratio needed

deeper dish - tight quench glad you caught it
IDK but do those heads work better if you open the chamber around the intake valve flow maybe a few cc's there

deeper dish - tight quench glad you caught it
IDK but do those heads work better if you open the chamber around the intake valve flow maybe a few cc's there
  • Yes, there may be easier ways to get 5 cc. out of there other than replacing pistons. Did you take into account that the valve reliefs take out 5 to 7 c.c. from the calculation?

• Yes, there may be easier ways to get 5 cc. out of there other than replacing pistons. Did you take into account that the valve reliefs take out 5 to 7 c.c. from the calculation?
Yes, factoring in the valve reliefs. I haven't ordered pistons yet. So we will see what needs to be done.

I'd double check the valve reliefs, those may need to be deeper to accept a larger cam if ever desired. My flat tops with reliefs that will accommodate about 270* @.050 measure 6.6cc. Unshrouding the valves could also add a couple of cc's to the chamber. Going to the .051 head gasket is significant too.

I'd double check the valve reliefs, those may need to be deeper to accept a larger cam if ever desired. My flat tops with reliefs that will accommodate about 270* @.050 measure 6.6cc. Unshrouding the valves could also add a couple of cc's. Going to the .051 head gasket is significant too.
With the heads at 84cc I was planning on using the .051 gaskets to get the DCR to 8.3. So now...

in the 9-10:1 compression range a cc will make about a 1/10 of a point difference in static compression ratio. when the static number goes over 10:1 a cc makes a little more than 1/10.

do not go to 0.51 head gaskets
keep tight .034-.040 quench and use whatever dish it takes to get where you want to go

Without looking I think there are12 and 13 cc dish pistons available. Pair that with a tight quench and you'll be close. Might need to mill the heads a bit.

836 pistons and mill the heads for desired compression. fairly easy to do.

I have an almost identical build...
Same 3842 cam
KB237 pistons .010" in the hole
Stealth aluminum heads 80cc
.030" Cometic gasket
.040" quench, 10.4:1 CR, dynamic is around 8.4
I run 91 pump gas without issue with the cam drgreed straight up, 24 degree initial / 36 total.
Edit---I'm running stock rods with ARP rod bolts, floated wrist pin.

Yea but @threewood proved that this combination is quite a dog this weekend...
Gosh he could not even break 650 ft-lbs of torque. I decided not to run the 318 on the dyno cause I did not want to make your car look bad.....

:rofl:

Yea but @threewood proved that this combination is quite a dog this weekend...
Gosh he could not even break 650 ft-lbs of torque. I decided not to run the 318 on the dyno cause I did not want to make your car look bad.....

:rofl:
Hey!!! You want some more rock chips? :icon_fU:

Auto Transport Service
Back