• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice Please! Found My Dad's Old Truck

dgraver

Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
When I was 3 years old, my Dad brought home a rusty 1947 International KB-3 beer delivery truck. We spent (well mostly him) years restoring it and spent every second we could in it when it was finished. Flash forward 7 years, parents divorce and my Dad remarries, we shall call her "the mistake". The Mistake makes my Dad sell the truck, he's regretted it every day since.

My Dad can't remember the buyers name for certain but said it was something like Altmire, but he remembers he owned some sort of heavy equipment company just outside of Pittsburgh. For years I've been pretty much cold calling places trying to find it. Yesterday after a meeting a had, I drove past a Kubota tractor dealer named Artman's, I figure, what the hell its worth a shot. So I walk in and ask the old man if he has an old International truck, he said "yea I have 5 of them, why?" I said I bet one of them is bright yellow with Iron City Beer logos on the side. He was shocked and wondered how the heck I knew that. Explained it was my Dad's, blah blah...it wasn't at that building but he asked if I wanted to follow him to where it is stored, which of course I did. He has a huge closed in pole barn filled with with cars and trucks (only mopar was an all original 60s Chrysler lebaron). In the back corner was my Dad's truck, literally exactly the same as he sold it, down to the keychains, dash plaques and American flags, just really dirty. It was a surreal moment as this truck means a lot to me and didn't know if I'd ever see it again, or if it was rodded, completely changed, etc.

Guy was really nice, talked to him for a while and listened to his stories and hatred of Obama which we shared. I showed the guy pics of my sister and me as kids with the truck and asked him if he'd consider selling it back? He abruptly said no, I'd have to wait until he dies. Meanwhile, he's driven in less than 100 miles in 20 years. I wasn't pushy, I said I cant blame him for not wanting to sell, but he said he'd leave my contact info on the seat so I'd have first crack at it when he dies.

My Dad turns 66 this month, in decent health, and I am having my first kid (a boy) in a few weeks. I want this truck back, and I don't want to wait for it because who knows what will happen to it once he is gone. Anyone have any advice or tactics? Hit men out there? int1.jpgint4.jpgint2.jpgint3.jpgint5.jpgint6.jpgint7.jpg

That's a cool old truck for sure and I can see why you want it back but unfortunately, you can't make him sell. About all you can do is make an offer that he can't refuse, but if you are too pushy, you will just turn him off. If the offer doesn't work, just leave your name & number & check in with him every 6 months or so. Things do change.

My advice is to contact the owner and ask if you can bring your Dad to see the truck. You asked him if he would sell the truck, and he said No!

Respect his answer, but maybe, just maybe when your Dad sees the truck and starts crying all over the garage the current owner will change

his mind. . . . Hopefully. If not, Oh well you tried! Good luck and keep us posted no matter what the outcome is!

Cool story! Obviously, if the seller won't sell then you're stuck. But it seems he's more of a collector than someone enjoying that particular truck out on the road. I don't know what those trucks are worth, but if you were to find another one in good condition that you could use as trading incentive, then Mr. Artman might reconsider. He'll still have the same number of trucks, and you'll have the one you want.

Stop in around Christmas, drop off a good bottle of wine maybe a gift basket and say that even though you would love to be able to return truck to your dad ASAP you are just happy he showed you the truck and he left your contact info in truck and that you want to show your thanks and continuing interest. Repeat every Christmas and maybe throw out the highest offer you are comfortable with....as other post said bringing dad by might be great idea.good luck

He said I could bring my Dad over, but I want to see if I can get it on my own first and surprise him with it. I sent him a hand written thank you note today with some of the above pics included.

I'd go back for a visit and drag your kids along. May soften him up a little.

I'd bring the family and make sure Mrs. Altman is in attendance. You'll walk out with the title in hand.

I'd bring the family and make sure Mrs. Altman is in attendance. You'll walk out with the title in hand.

x2 read my mind!

if that doesnt work, bring in THE DAWG. he'll straighten him out for ya! lol

This guy cant possibly be attached to that truck anywhere near as much as you are. Do what some of the other guys say,but if you really want it that bad be prepared to pay and pay big time. Go with the max you can spend and tell him cash on the spot right now,not tomorrow not later on in the day. Unless the guy is a nut everybody has a price and if knows he can make a big enough profit he will sell---------------now im going to tell you something,my opinion for what its worth. The truck is gone and unless you can get it for a fair price id move on. Its a memory and nothing more. Were sentimental with our vehicles because we have the passion for them but in the end its just steel. What you have is the memory of a time in your life when that truck was around. Im close to your dads age and i told about what my wife is going through right now and id just love to find my 65 Corvette. That was the car my wife and i had all our memories in. We were young healthy and in love. Its not the car you know its the time in your life when you look back. Your dad is about to see his son have a son,trust me that will make him real happy.Best of luck to you

This is a great story, I hope everything works out.

The truck has both good and bad memories, I would take your father to visit it and promptly find a new project for both of you to work on.

Find out if he interested in anything else. Guns, antiques,etc. Maybe some bartering? Also money talks. It looks like he may be pretty well off so money might not appeal to him. Good luck

Had one just like it. Sold it 5yrs ago. Just had too much stuff. But...I did sell it to someone local that, I'm sure I can contact, if you are interested.

Attachments

• 116-1634_IMG.jpg
    116-1634_IMG.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 116-1636_IMG.jpg
    116-1636_IMG.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 245
If the guy has five of these, he might be interested in buying another one as these guys tend to get more thrill out of buying something than owning it. Buy another one that's in nice shape and drive it over there next time.

Thanks for the responses everyone! Pretty sure its not about money with this guy, his business has done very well. One of the many reasons he dislikes our president so much is how much he's getting killed in taxes every year! That being said, if my dad and I went there with a wad of cash, who knows! Like I said yesterday, I sent him a nice thank you note. If I don't hear back from him, I will bring my dad up for a visit in 2 weeks when my old man gets back from Florida and go from there. I like the idea of buying a similar truck and offering it as trade (+ cash if needed). The problem is finding one in comparable condition for a decent price. I've found a couple but most are out on the west coast, unless 68chicken can work some magic! There is one locally, its sitting under a garage lean, not sure if its for sale and its nowhere near the condition of my dads. I might try to get in contact with that owner. I'm seeing my dad tonight at a local cruise, debating if I want to fill him in yet.

I know these people. I have Bought 2 Kubotas off them and all the parts for them. I know there is some health issues going on with him for maybe 2 years now. Him and the son are out of the same mold. I think if you make more attempts he would sell. This is 20 minutes from my home. Let me know if I can help. Oh and you have to stop by and say hello if your up here.

Auto Transport Service
Back