• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB AFB Metering Rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
Looking for 2 of each, AFB metering rods
16-136
16-440
alternate choices 16-21 or 16-22
Dan

I buy my metering rods from Allstate carb EDELBROCK AFB METERING RODS - Allstate Carburetor

I don't know the part numbers you list, I go by and so does Allstate the diameters of the steps. I think Allstate sells all the sizes still made. I know some sizes are no longer made because I have some laying around in my carb box.
These in particular rods were for hemi carbs 4139s and 4140s. These were just for these once they went obsolete that was it. I really don't expect to find them but you never know.

I needed to match them all up anyways. If you can use any let me know. I think many of the 16-*** are a 3 step rod, the 4 numbered ones are self explanatory. The 3 digit ones IDK. Now my eyes hurt and I am going to bed.

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

I needed to match them all up anyways. If you can use any let me know. I think many of the 16-*** are a 3 step rod, the 4 numbered ones are self explanatory. The 3 digit ones IDK. Now my eyes hurt and I am going to bed.

View attachment 1516093

View attachment 1516094
three step rods are for the AVS, will work in an AFB, but designed for the AVS to help with fuel mixture as they started to phase in EPA regulations in the 70's

For the hemi besides actual size there was a taper, and location of step difference, so they are specific. Salvaging old ones from carbs, or moving on to a newer rod and calibrating are your only choices. Every once in a while, old stock shows up for sale.

My car had the 440 rods still but I could not find the 136 rods (071/.061). But I found a replacement rod at Mikes Carburetors that was almost the same (.070/.57). It checked out on overall length and length of the step up section. I figured with ethanol that a slightly richer one was good. I did find in my notes that QuadrajetParts.com has a AFB rod specd at (.070/.060).

Mikes Carburetors is a good place to source rebuild kits, rods, jets, and a lot of other pieces. You might check on EBay too. Last time I went looking for an AFB rod there were lots of them for sale there, still in their blister packs.

For the hemi besides actual size there was a taper, and location of step difference, so they are specific. Salvaging old ones from carbs, or moving on to a newer rod and calibrating are your only choices. Every once in a while, old stock shows up for sale.
Thats what I was thinking, Find the area of the rod and jet and calibrate to the OEM spec.

Can you explain that in more detail
If you know the original dimensions of the jet and rod step sizes the you can calculate the area of fuel flow:

(3.1415 x R squared) of jet - (3.1415x R squared) of rod diameter.

If you know the dimensions send them to me and I can help.

Sounds like you are looking for 3 step rods which would use the domed metering rod covers.

If Hemi carbs they will be 2-step rods and regular jets. No 136 and 440 rods are correct for 1966. There’s nothing special about them - just run of the mill Carter rods and jets.

If you know the original dimensions of the jet and rod step sizes the you can calculate the area of fuel flow:

Sounds like you are looking for 3 step rods which would use the domed metering rod covers.

Primary jets are 89 thousandths, 2 step metering rods, one carb step rods are 71 x 61 thousandths the other carb step rods are 67 x 58 thousandth.

What Don said ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back