• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket scratch built 68-70 Charger possible?

RXTREME

Local time
12:41 PM
Reaction score
Currently building my Charger and dont know exactly the answer for this. But if someone bought all of the sheet metal, floors and supports available off AMD and more to build a 68-70 Charger from scratch, what would be missing? (Just main structure)

The drivetrain, electrical, rubber parts, mechanisms for the hood, trunk, glass, locks, etc. and vin.

Last edited:
Even companies like SpeedKore that build carbon fiber bodied cars, to build cars like these:

HR Charger 2.jpg

SK Tantrum 1.jpg

They had to obtain inner structure pieces for the roof structure.

I know you said inner structure but remember 70 fenders and hoods aren’t being reproduced by AMD. That’s biting a lot these guys in the *** that’s buying 70,s. They assume they’re being made.

I just started following this kid on YouTube. He’s building a custom in a storage unit. Fun to watch. Not judging what or how, it’s just fun to see people into it.

I know you said inner structure but remember 70 fenders and hoods aren’t being reproduced by AMD. That’s biting a lot these guys in the *** that’s buying 70,s. They assume they’re being made.
For awhile, SpeedKore was offering carbon fiber fenders, hoods and front bumpers for the '70.
They were all quite expensive though.

to build a 68-70 Charger from scratch, what would be missing?
Most importantly the VIN, Fender Tag, Build sheet, stamped numbers on various panels, and actual real documentation.

Everything else can be swapped out from a donor ......if you're doing this legally of course.

For awhile, SpeedKore was offering carbon fiber fenders, hoods and front bumpers for the '70.
They were all quite expensive though.
Someone use to to produce some fiberglass fenders also. Wonder whatever happened to those?

The now defunct Stinger was selling fiberglass 70 Charger front fenders. I have seen ones made by other companies years ago,but they were pretty crude.

AMD has started making a lot of the inner structure pieces for second generation Chargers. I believe that we will see a complete Charger body offered in the not too distant future.

I just started following this kid on YouTube. He’s building a custom in a storage unit. Fun to watch. Not judging what or how, it’s just fun to see people into it.

i saw that as well.
he will have a ton of time and money in that build, but that kid has TALENT in buckets full ! !
:drinks:

There's actually many was to
go about this.
Depends on time and how
far you're willing to stray
from what the factory did
to build a car.
You could go as far as
building a rolling chassis
(as I did), and adapt or
fabricate sheetmetal to
fit.
20190620_165747.jpg100_0694.JPG
Or find a donor car with the
bottom end in good
enough shape, that you can
peel parts from.
As a starting point, and for
titling purposes, it will be
beneficial to have proper
documentation and a vin
number to start with, and
to incorporate the vin in your
build.
Good luck, which ever route
you persue.

Looks like this kids building a body first. Chassis next

AMD has started making a lot of the inner structure pieces for second generation Chargers. I believe that we will see a complete Charger body offered in the not too distant future.
That's exactly what I was thinking. There's repro bodies of Mustangs, Camaros... but not a Charger, which is one of the best styled cars ever made ?

Wasn't there a body kit to turn a Ford Panther platform into a 2nd gen Charger? As long as you get a post-Maruader panther I think that would be a great way to go.

Wasn't there a body kit to turn a Ford Panther platform into a 2nd gen Charger? As long as you get a post-Maruader panther I think that would be a great way to go.
At the end of the day,it's still a Ford!

I don’t know about a kit but some stunt coordinator guy did it. He needed to stage a general Lee jump and couldn’t bring himself to trash a real charger. He bought all amd sheet metal and grafted it onto a crown Vic. Since it was for a stunt jump, it was pretty crude and the dash looked wrong (too high) but I believe his effort showed it could be done

If I really really really had to have a scratch built charger, I’d either do a Steve mirrabelli and graft all new panels onto a donor or buy the worst charger I could for the VIN and some roof inner structure and then go nuts in the AMD catalog. Not that i possess the skill for any of that- I’d have to win the lottery and start writing checks

Auto Transport Service
Back