• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

air compressor recommendation

ksurfer2

Local time
7:50 AM
Reaction score
I'm closing on a house next month that has a 1500 sq/ft garage/workshop. Now that I have some room to work, one of the first things on my list to acquire is an air compressor. The shop is wired with 110, but there is no 220 service in it (at this time). I am looking for a compressor to run air tools and maybe a sand blaster or paint gun for small parts and pieces. I am not stripping/painting a whole car or looking at any other big jobs. Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

workshop.jpg

110 volt is not an option if your using it for anything other then filling tires.

Stay away from noisy airless. You will hate it. IMHO

if you plan on buying a bead blasting cabinet or using a sand or soda blaster my suggestion is buy the biggest largest volume air compressor you can afford. You won't regret it

Is there a separate electrical panel in the shop? If so...take the small amount of time to put in a 220v circuit.

There's a lot of used Comps around, with many businesses folding, or older enthusiasts retiring. Look at some local sources, CL, FB, Estate sales, you may find a bargain...

Put the 220V service in. I have an Ingersoll Rand 60 gallon 5 HP twin cylinder single stage. It fit through the door into my climate controlled garage bathroom. 130 PSI runs impacts and die grinders with ease. Cost was very affordable. Of course an 80 gallon two stage would be better. But wouldn't fit through the door.

If you're starting from scratch and you want a small blast cabinet then definitely put in the 220 line
and get a 7.5hp/80Gal. compressor. Either a Champion, Quincy, Speedaire, Ingersoll, or something
quality. You will do this ONCE! You will never regret it! Don't skimp, and it will last you for the rest
of your life. Look at local auctions and Estate sales or buy new.

I've got a Curtis and Toledo Tool (Curtis local brand) and they are great. You want greatest CFM you can afford. You probably need at least 20 to sandblast effectively.

Using a blaster is like having the end of the hose cut off. Lots of volume needed. If you get one to support that, you'll be good to go for other tools, spray guns etc.

Agree on CFM.

...and on 220V.

Far a while I had a decent Dewalt/Emglow that was 110/220 selectable.

12 CFM which was barely enough to blast anything. It did work but was slow.

Probably about all the CFM you're gonna find on 110V

Last edited:
110 will use more amps and will cost you more to run.

congrats on the new house/shop...... 220 and a beefy compressor will make you happy

I'm closing on a house next month that has a 1500 sq/ft garage/workshop. Now that I have some room to work, one of the first things on my list to acquire is an air compressor. The shop is wired with 110, but there is no 220 service in it (at this time). I am looking for a compressor to run air tools and maybe a sand blaster or paint gun for small parts and pieces. I am not stripping/painting a whole car or looking at any other big jobs. Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

View attachment 1230601

Congratulations on buying the new place...

Compressor wise? I'd buy something like this..

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/tls/d/new-port-richey-air-compressor/7437429109.html?lang=en&cc=gb

Don't spent allot cause as others have mentioned eventually you'll probably want to run 220V out to the shop & upgrade the compressor but for now you'll have enough air to get by...

I have an 80 gallon Husky brand Home depot out in my shed. I ran lines under ground into my garage so I don't have to hear the compressor. Pretty good compressor 150psi and does everything I need it to do. And I used one of these kits in the garage. Only had 1 issue in 4 years a 90 blew apart. https://www.rapidairproducts.com/rapidair-home-garage

One thing that I didn't explain. A REAL industrial built compressor will put out approximately
3.4 CFM per Horsepower and the motor will run at 1725 or 1800 RPM. So, if you do the math,
you'll come up with about 25cfm. Some are better, some worse, but stick with a brand name.
And remember that if you look on the motor nameplate and the motor runs at 3600 RPM, RUN!

I have been using blast cabinets for over 20 years.
Oil less, junk.
2 stage, not enough volume. 2 cylinders but only one is drawing in air, the other cylinder is compressing it more. Not enough volume for constant blast cabinet use.
Air tools only, 2 stage is good.
Need lots of volume? 2 cylinder single stage is the way to go. Both cylinders draw air each stroke.
7.5 hp, 80 gallon.

We have an 80 gal I-Rand, its noisy but works great. Quincy is another good one.
Pressure is not a big issue with most, its the cfm they can deliver at 90psi. If you can add an in line 110v refrigerated dryer. It will save your tools and grief if painting.

Auto Transport Service
Back