• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air con bearings

RT SE 440

Local time
1:27 AM
Reaction score
Hello all I'm slowly collecting the parts to rebuild my V2 A/C compressor but I'm a bit confused as to how many bearings are on the crank shaft according to my 69 parts book (illustration) it has 2 bearings both numbered 24-25-160 but when you look up that number it only shows one bearing number 2019681. i already have 1 of those bearings which only fits the front of the crank shaft & not on the rear so what am i missing ? am i reading the parts book correctly

Last edited:
So you have a RV2 compressor? Front bearings are different between the V2 and RV2. Not sure on the changes. The bearing you have 2019681 fits the front of the RV2. You need a 1994152 for the rear. Both style compressors take the same rear bearing.

So you have a RV2 compressor? Front bearings are different between the V2 and RV2. Not sure on the changes. The bearing you have 2019681 fits the front of the RV2. You need a 1994152 for the rear. Both style compressors take the same rear bearing.
Is it possible to look at the bearing itself for the manufacturers part number. If possible can you measure the OD of the outer race, the ID of the inner race and the overall thickness of the bearing assembly. Can you see how many balls are in esch bearing. Visit ww Grainger or Motion Industries or consult the on line catalog of SKF or NTN or RBC. Search by dimension......just a thought rather than trying to find an absolute or supersede part number bearing. Don't forget to purchase the carbon vs ceramic shaft seal kit and the large magnetic clutch bearing. Not sure if the compressor rod bearing are serviceable.......
BOB RENTON

Hello sorry i corrected my question it's a v2 i have the front bearing which is correct which is part# 1854829 but thank you for the rear number .is there any other numbers such a from 68 or 1970 compressors that are the same.Also is why the v2 compressor bearings are not listed in the parts book ?

Last edited:
Hello sorry i corrected my question it's a v2 i have the front bearing which is correct which is part# 1854829 but thank you for the rear number .is there any other numbers such a from 68 or 1970 compressors that are the same.Also is why the v2 compressor bearings are not listed in the parts book ?
Ss long as you have the compressor apart this would be an excellent time to replace the clutch bearing as well as shaft seal. The clutch bearing is subject of high radial loads because of belt pull and heat due to vibration and magnetic stress of clutch operation ......just a thought.....
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Ss long as you have the compressor expert, this would be an excellent time to replace the clutch bearing as well as shaft seal. The clutch bearing is subject of high radial loads because of belt pull and heat due to vibration and magnetic stress of clutch......just s thought.....
BOB RENTON
Thanks Bob yes i will replace all bearings and as much as i can find Nos with the exception of seals I've gone a little over the top I've got new old stock oil pump, pistons, crank, field coil and hopefully new bearings can you think of anything else please let me know because hopefully i only need to do this once and enjoy the cool air

Cant answer all your questions. The rear bearing is the same between the compressors. There were oiling improvements made between the RV and RV2. The bottom of the compressor was changed on the RV2. So as I remember the main housing as well as the sump/pan were changed along with a different front bearing. The bearing number you posted in post 4 is correct for a RV style compressor.

Thanks Bob yes i will replace all bearings and as much as i can find Nos with the exception of seals I've gone a little over the top I've got new old stock oil pump, pistons, crank, field coil and hopefully new bearings can you think of anything else please let me know because hopefully i only need to do this once and enjoy the cool air
Are you converting to R-143A or staying with R-12? Im sure you're aware of the differences, including the oil used which is distinctly difference. You should replace the dryer, all the O-rings, and consider flushing the evaporator, condenser AND removing the EPR VALVE IN THE COMPRESSOR, IF YOU'RE converting to R134A The thermostatic expansion valve MAY need replaced to be compatible with the refrigerant used. When completed, pressure test with nitrogen and evacuate to at least 29.9 inches vacuum.....
Others may have additional suggestions or comments.......
BOB RENTON

Is it possible to look at the bearing itself for the manufacturers part number. If possible can you measure the OD of the outer race, the ID of the inner race and the overall thickness of the bearing assembly. Can you see how many balls are in esch bearing. Visit ww Grainger or Motion Industries or consult the on line catalog of SKF or NTN or RBC. Search by dimension......just a thought rather than trying to find an absolute or supersede part number bearing. Don't forget to purchase the carbon vs ceramic shaft seal kit and the large magnetic clutch bearing. Not sure if the compressor rod bearing are serviceable.......
BOB RENTON
Thanks all for the reply's i have new condenser& the under dash heater/ac box has been fully rebuilt with a new evaporator & the lines will be flushed.Bob just wondering were you would buy a carbon vs ceramic seal kit are you talking about the head gaskets & sump gaskets or the rubber shaft seals ? are all the clutch bearings magnetic?

Thanks all for the reply's i have new condenser& the under dash heater/ac box has been fully rebuilt with a new evaporator & the lines will be flushed.Bob just wondering were you would buy a carbon vs ceramic seal kit are you talking about the head gaskets & sump gaskets or the rubber shaft seals ? are all the clutch bearings magnetic?
I thought all the kits had the ceramic. Maybe I am wrong. The clutch just takes a regular bearing. Look for a number on your old one.

I'm not seeing the rear bearing listed or am i missing it
The clutch bearing is usually a double ball race, sealed of course, because of the high radial load due to belt pull. The mechanical seal is a simple unbalanced arrangement with the stationary ceramic portion o-ring mounted in the compressor housing and the rotary half shaft mounted via an internal o- ring. DO NOT TOUCH THE SEAL FACES OR MARK THEM AS THEY WILL LEAK ...USE ONLY A SLIGHT FILM OF REFRIGERANT OIL when installing....

I gave you that number a few posts back. These are the clutch bearing.
okay thanks but not the bearing i'm inquiring about i'm looking for the bearing pictured in the compressor break down for the back of the crank shaft with the pink arrow pointing at it

atatatat.png

Last edited:
Read post #2 above. I gave you the number.
yes i did see your post #2 i'm sorry but this is confusing me as i always thought a clutch bearing was on the front of the compressor with the field coil and pulley not on the rear of the crank shaft

yes i did see your post #2 i'm sorry but this is confusing me as i always thought a clutch bearing was on the front of the compressor with the field coil and pulley not on the rear of the crank shaft
Yes the clutch bearing is way up front with the belts. The front compressor crankshaft bearing is 2019681 and the rear crankshaft bearing is 1994152. Both are shown in the factory parts manual.

Yes the clutch bearing is way up front with the belts. The front compressor crankshaft bearing is 2019681 and the rear crankshaft bearing is 1994152. Both are shown in the factory parts manual.
Thanks i knew that's what you said originally but the front clutch bearing got thrown into the mix somehow which fried my brain . i've done a web search & still unable to find any matching bearings for that 1994152 number even on the the link you provided, is there any other interchangeable part numbers that replace that bearing thanks again

Thanks i knew that's what you said originally but the front clutch bearing got thrown into the mix somehow which fried my brain . i've done a web search & still unable to find any matching bearings for that 1994152 number even on the the link you provided, is there any other interchangeable part numbers that replace that bearing thanks again
I am not sure on that number if is was superseded or not. You might try a company that rebuilds them. Is there a number on your old bearing? Mopar numbers and actual bearing numbers are not the same. Finding a bearing number may do the trick. I had about 6 of those old compressors that went for scrap.

Auto Transport Service
Back