• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air grabber question about switch

Randall Miller

Local time
11:58 AM
Reaction score
Gents. I've logged hours of searching in and can't find my answer.

I have a 72 RR GTX and have added an oem grabber hood.

I can cycle the doors manually w engine vacuum so I have all the underhood parts. I'm trying to stop the money bleeding from this purchase and simplify the operation.

My question.... I don't care if I use a 70 or 71-72 switch inside but can either of them work without electric for simplification sake?

I don't care if it closes when the car is off.

Another way to ask...

Are either of those switches mechanical and do not require an electric solenoid to work?

Thank you,
Rudy

Last edited:
Electric isn't needed to make them work, vacuum is all that is needed.
The factory added the electric solenoid to make sure the door was closed if car wasn't running.
Ron

Gents. I've logged hours of searching in and can't find my answer.

I have a 72 RR GTX and have added an oem grabber hood.

I can cycle the doors manually w engine vacuum so I have all the underhood parts. I'm trying to stop the money bleeding from this purchase and simplify the operation.

My question.... I don't care if I use a 70 or 71-72 switch inside but can either of them work without electric for simplification sake?

I don't care if it closes when the car is off.

Another way to ask...

Are either of those switches mechanical and do not require an electric solenoid to work?

Thank you,
Rudy

As the owner of a 19790 Plymouth GTX, RS23V0A******, with the origional N96 Air Grabber option, the dash mounted actuator conttol device is a VALVE not a switch....there are no wires going to it, only hoses. The valve routes the vacuum signal to the hood mounted actuator, applying vacuum to the rod end of the actuator. When the under dash electrical actuated SOLENOID valve completes the vacuum circuit, allowing engine vacuum, via the firewall mounted vacuum resivoire, to open the hood mounted air grabber door.
Later, I believe 1971 Dodge models (perhaps Plymouth as well), the dash board mounted vacuum actuator control device, was, in reality, an electrical SWITCH. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Thanks for the reply. In the hopes that this helps someone in the future.

I now have the 71-72 switch and there are no electrical connections to it.

I can cycle the air grabber by toggling the lever without the solenoid with the car idling in my shop. I did purchase the hose kit for the car which wasn't necessary but I don't regret it.

I'm a few loose ends and some cooperative weather away from a road test but don't expect that to change my successful operation.

Also, so far it seems to bleed down and close if the car is off if it is left up as I didn't use the electrical part for the self closing with the key off. I didn't learn much in school but for some reason a science teacher staked in my brain "nature abhors a vacuum" which is to say it's gonna leak down eventually.
Thanks again for the replies.
Rudy

Rudy,
If you need a solenoid, let me know….I have a few you can try one. Good luck!

The solenoid on my 71 road runner was broken when I bought the car in 1994 but the vacuum switch worked properly. I like to have the air grabber open when parked at shows so I removed the spring to prevent it from closing when not running. The vacuum switch will still open and close it,

Thanks for the reply. In the hopes that this helps someone in the future.

I now have the 71-72 switch and there are no electrical connections to it.

I can cycle the air grabber by toggling the lever without the solenoid with the car idling in my shop. I did purchase the hose kit for the car which wasn't necessary but I don't regret it.

I'm a few loose ends and some cooperative weather away from a road test but don't expect that to change my successful operation.

Also, so far it seems to bleed down and close if the car is off if it is left up as I didn't use the electrical part for the self closing with the key off. I didn't learn much in school but for some reason a science teacher staked in my brain "nature abhors a vacuum" which is to say it's gonna leak down eventually.
Thanks again for the replies.
Rudy

Rudy,
A little additional information re my 1970 GTX air grabber operation.
1. With engine idleing, dash mounted valve to open, under dash electrical actuated SOLENOID valve powered on, results in vacuum supplied ftom the reservoir, the hood actuator opens the hood mounted door open.
2. Upon power down, ignition switch off, the under dash electrical actuated SOLENOID valve is de-energized, bleeding off the vacuum to the air grabber actuator, allowing the spring to close the hood mounted door to slowly close.
3. If, while driving, the conditions described in #1 above, it starts to rain. Flipping the dash mounted valve to close, the vacuum is routed to opposite end of the hood mounted actuator, causing it, along with the assist spring, to close the air grabber door. This prevents rain water from saturating the air filter element. When powering down, with this condition, the under dash electrical actuated SOLENOID valve is de-energized, but the vacuum signal, via the dash mounted vacuum valve, has already closed the air grabber door.
The 1970 Plymouth GTX version is a combination of electrical and mechanical control. Not sure about the latter Dodge and possibly Plymouth versions. In addition, the underhood mounted vacuum resivoire has a one way check valve installed to permit the actuator and associated components, to keep the air grabber door OPEN during wide open throttle to allow cold air to flow to the carbs, because there is zero manifold vacuum at wide open throttle.
I've been asked during car shows, does this Mopar system work like GMs infamous "COWL INDUCTION SYSTEM"?? Answer....absolutely not....just the opposite
The short answer to your question....get a FSM for your vehicle as it shows and describes the operation of the N-96 option along with the correct components used. Hope this helps you to understand the operation. PM me if you need additional help.
BOB RENTON

Thanks gents! Things are working fine. If this money pit sees rain I'll have more trouble than a wet air filter....the upholstery will be soaked w my tears!

Really appreciate the offer for the solenoid. I'm happy with the operation but greatly appreciate the link to the clippard switch. While my switch is working...I bet it is also leaking.

All y'all are awesome!

Auto Transport Service
Back