• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alignment Issues

When I had mine on the frame machine we got every frame point within 1/16" 1/4" is factory spec. I had to swap my k-frame because it was stamped and welded crooked putting the left front tire back 5/8", k- frame strut socket was out but looked fine, anyway these k-frames can vary a ton. Level the car by the rockers, a 4 foot level top or bottom works. Plot your frame points with a plumb bob and see what you have. For alignment it is best to support it by the rear axle, level the car by the front k- frame, then plot your rear axle center, then lower ball joint, or front spindle center. Back the t-bars off to simulate your ride height with jacks or stands. I would want the rear-end straight to the frame and lower ball joints exactly the same distance to the rear axle. 1/4" forward or back is about 1 degree ballpark. I use a sharp pencil on the floor, then chalk line it to be more accurate. I don't have a 64 manual but here are 1970 specs and the instructions, the figures really do not matter, just that they are the same side to side and you use the same points.

20220412_140624.jpg 20220412_141903.jpg 20220412_141924.jpg

I'm getting conflicting views on how to use this gauge. Some instructions say to first turn front of wheel in ( http://www.tpub.com/basae/241.htm ) and some instructions say to turn front of wheel out first. So my question is, does anyone know for sure of the correct way to use the gauge I have? The gauge I have is a Blue Point / Snap On. The other similar gauges ( Sealey, Longacre) look similar, but are configured slightly differently (scales reversed etc.). If someone has the same gauge as I have, I'd appreciate the proper setup or better yet, a copy of the original instructions.

20220424_161113[1].jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back