• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All to familiar story....

My friend had about 20 project cars, and was paying different people to work on several of them. So after expressing frustration trying to get them finished I talked him into selling off a lot of the project cars and buying done cars. I helped him with finding good deals on done cars or decent running drivers instead of doing the project cars. He has done very well and upgraded his collection nicely. He still has about a half dozen project cars and is finding it very difficult to find people who want to work on them at all,let alone for a reasonable price. Almost every time you are ahead of the game getting a done car and tweaking it to your liking. Unless the car has been hacked or it a perfumed pig. Don't buy cars on the internet without seeing them in person. Like RC said,watch the end of some of the Fantom Works shows when he sits down with the customer and breaks the news to them that they just put 100k into a 64 Barracuda, or 68 notch back Mustang! Unfortunately for me,I don't follow my own advice! Lol

If I had to pay a shop for all the hours I have in my build it wouldn’t be affordable. It sounds like the owner didn’t understand what he was getting himself into. He would have been better off buying a done car…
How many times have people come to these internet forums posting about some project they are looking at & get hit with lots of posts about buying a done or at least mostly done car.... They rarely take that advise... I get the "I want to build my own dream" but those dreams can be accomplished by starting with a done car & adding a few tweaks.. Or those dreams can become nightmares....

If I had to pay a shop for all the hours I have in my build it wouldn’t be affordable. It sounds like the owner didn’t understand what he was getting himself into. He would have been better off buying a done car…
My 300f had recepts for parts and labor equaling three times my purchase price.

My 300f had recepts for parts and labor equaling three times my purchase price.

If I’ve learned anything playing with old cars it’s this; However long you think something will take, double it. However much you think it will cost, triple it...

I had one of my cars body and paint done at a custom shop that was also part of a large blasting company. It took them over 2 years to do my car, delays and delays, excuses and excuses. Whenever I would stop in to check on progress, I would have a truck full of things I needed blasted, and while I was busy hassling with the owner about the timeline, I was getting all my parts blasted for free. I literally got $1000’s of dollars of stuff blasted because they were dragging their feet working on my car. In the end, the car was done, I never paid the final payment because some parts of the car we’re not up to snuff, and he was “done”, and so was I. They closed up shop not long after.

39D591AA-B81B-4708-8BFB-2B185243B6E4.jpeg

Ill give him a hunderd bucks.......

Auto Transport Service
Back