• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator and Voltage Regulator for a heavy equipped 68 Charger

Gentleman

Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score
Hi,

I got a 68 Charger with A/C, power windows, rear defogger, rear speaker, and so on.

The question is, did the factory equipped the car with a 46 or 60 Amp. Alternator?

I don´t know if it would be mentioned in the BS... I do not have it.

That also effects the voltage regulator.

with a 46 Amp. Alternator, I have to install a VR with part number 2098300. (Picture below)
2098300.jpg
with a 60 Amp. Alternator, I have to install an adjustable VR with part number 2444980. (Picture below)
2444980.jpg

Both VR have a FLD and ING terminal.
But it looks like, that the 2444980 Adj. VR has a third terminal next to the mounting hole. Could be for Ground... but I´m not sure about this.

The picture below shows my firewall. The red circled holes are for the VR and the blue ones are drilled into the firewall afterwards for some other equipent like an aftermarket ECU...
Fire wall.JPG

I found only two holes for the VR on my car, so I would like to say, that I had a 2098300 VR. Am I wrong?

My wiring harness was also modified so I can not tell if I had a terminal plug on the FLD side or just a ring cable lug.

Does anybody has pictures of a mounted adj. VR on a B-Body car?

Thanks for help!

60 amp would be a Leece Neville which I doubt you have. 60 was the HD big alternator used on police applications. 37 and 46 amp were pretty much standard. 37 being the base and 46 on the fully equipped models. So you should use the 2098300 and you most likely have holes in the firewall for that. The other adjustable regulator would have 3 holes and I seriously doubt you have the 3 holes on your firewall. It will still work but will not be correct.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply.

The parts manual says that Chrysler had the following alternators:
37 Amp.
46 Amp.
60 Amp.

And Leece Neville had 60 Amp. and 65 Amp.

So I was a little confused.

I only got the two holes in the firewall, so I´m going with the 2098300.

Thanks a lot.

The 37 and 46 amp alternators were by far the most common on these cars and they would use the voltage reg in your top pic.

I owned an unrestored '69 GTX in the 90s with factory air conditioning. It had the original 2098300 still in place. My current '69 GTX has both factory air conditioning and power windows, and used the same voltage regulator. Factory service manual calls for 46 amp.

Thanks guys!

I owned an unrestored '69 GTX in the 90s with factory air conditioning. It had the original 2098300 still in place. My current '69 GTX has both factory air conditioning and power windows, and used the same voltage regulator. Factory service manual calls for 46 amp.

Do you have some pics of the voltage regulator? For A/C cars they got a little hook underneath it for the wiring harness. Is this correct?

Auto Transport Service
Back