• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator replacement 1 V groove

Randall Raines

Local time
7:00 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys

This afternoon I have decided to replace my alternator of my Plymouth SSP 72, big block B engine 400 ci.
The fact is that; replacing my stock alternator by a 1 wire one from tuff stuff (100 Amp) I have taken a 1 V groove VS 2 V groove on my stock one. Consequence is I have noticed now that my belt is not properly aligned with the other pulleys, seems missing 0.5 to 1" (1 cm to 2cm).

Do I have to change my alternator from 1 V groove to 2 V groove or is there an alternator bracket that I can buy to make it properly aligned ?

Thanks for your help

Yep for sure; here below the current setup with the belt on the external groove respect to the engine; and I also post pictures when belt is on the internal groove respect to the engine (with the new alternator it would be like that)

I also put a picture of the bracket I currently have for the upper pivot bolt, I feel it very dangerous because I can overtight the bolt and touch the engine block if I want.... Is it really normal ? :-/

IMG_3007.jpg IMG_3010.jpg IMG_3008.jpg IMG_3009.jpg IMG_3020.jpg

I noticed there is no spacer on the pivot bolt between the mounting "ears" on the alternator. That may be part of the problem? ruffcut

Ah no its just to make it quick for the picture I have removed it, but on the new alternator (not on the picture) there is one, for this no issue

but once I put the new alternator (tuff stuff chrome one) the belt is on the position like the engine side groove and you can clearly see the misalignment like on the picture I did for the example.

I'm guessing if maybe I can take some BBM brackets and put some spacers between engine block and bracket in order to re-align the alternator

I believe your problem is the style of the double groove pulley on the alternator.
If you look at few factory double groove alternator pulleys you’ll see the difference.

Thank you Beekeeper, so you think even if my belt is not properly aligned like the double groove alternator it shouldn't be a problem ?

Easy enough to use 3/8'' flat washers for shimming if necessary.
I always like to use a straight edge across the water pump pulley to the alternator.
Sometimes shim the alternator, sometimes the bracket from the water pump.Or both.

Thank you Beekeeper, so you think even if my belt is not properly aligned like the double groove alternator it shouldn't be a problem ?

No sir I would get the alignment as close as possible either by shimming as Darter6 recommended or get the correct pulley.
There is a slight amount of misalignment ok with a V belt but i would get it as close as possible.

It looks like the alternator mounting brackets are the problem to me? Looks like the lower one is for an a/c style? Kinda hard to see in the picture.

As mentioned, there is different bracket set for the non-A/C single groove alternator mounting. The dual groove Alt pully is for A/C applications. You have a mismatch of parts going on.

So you mean it could be possible I have the wrong bracket on my engine ? Can I fix it with some BBM bracket maybe ?
This weekend I will try to shim the bracket in order to get the proper alignement and I will take pictures with the new alternator mounted on it.

So you mean it could be possible I have the wrong bracket on my engine ? Can I fix it with some BBM bracket maybe ?
This weekend I will try to shim the bracket in order to get the proper alignement and I will take pictures with the new alternator mounted on it.
It sure looks like you have an incorrect bracket setup to me.

Hi Guys, I had a look again today and I tried to shim the alternator, seems no issue for that I can recover the gap but the tensioner bracket (I don 't know how to call it) is limiting me, I have to move it forward by approximately 1/2". I have ordered a BBM bracket (black ones) in order to start with a good basis and it will be easier to shim since the bracket is not anymore attached to the engine mount part (1 on engine water pump and the other one is fixed to engine mount with a nut on the other part).
One question about that, it seems not an issue to loosen the bolt of the engine mount since the mount is held by 4 bolts as I have seen, seems I do not have to hold the engine under. Am I wrong ?

Shouldn’t be an issue. The alternator itself is the tensioner. It slides in the slotted lower bracket. Even on a/c cars.

Is there a bracket supporting the front of the alternator/ Your pictures don't seem to show one.. The photo is a 66 but later stuff is similar.....

Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 9.05.34 AM.png

yeah there is but currently I have bought the same bracket you are sowing on the picture I should receive it in the week then I will mount it

Auto Transport Service
Back