• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Aluminum center section

Looking for aluminum 8.75” housing just giving it a shot
See attached link - not Aluminum, but close. Note price is in C$ - subtract 30% for US$

See attached link - not Aluminum, but close. Note price is in C$ - subtract 30% for US$
Im not too sure that piece belongs on a car.....maybe not the museum either, but if it were mine, I think it is best off "retired" to prevent potential damage. Coolness factor of "10", maybe even "11" lol.

I run them and have never had an issue with them.

I have a spare Mopar performance in the trailer with very
few runs that has been there for years. 4:56 Spool.

$2,450.00 Ready to run and that is a Bargain!

Last edited:
I have four, one is brand new, still in the box., I listed it here? a few months back, too pricey for most it seems.
Mopar stated it was 10% stronger than the typical 742 carrier.

IMG_3735.JPG

IMG_3734.JPG

Last edited:
Just curious, how much does one of those aluminum center sections weigh?
Here is an out of production long ago Mark Williams 742 Alum carrier, it has rebuilt I believe 3.55 with an Auburn and a billet 1350 CM yoke, weight as pictured.
When I discovered there were a few Alum 8.75" aftermarket carriers around late 80's, I looked for years, and found this one in a for sale dragster that I had to buy to obtain it in NJ.
Early nineties I pleaded with Mopar to offer/build an Alum carrier, they blew me off and said there was no market. Decade later it was in their catalog

MW 2-76 Auburn - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Here is an out of production long ago Mark Williams 742 Alum carrier, it has I believe 3.55 with an Auburn and a billet 1350 CM yoke, weight as pictured.
When I discovered there were a few Alum 8.75" aftermarket carriers around late 80's, I looked for years, and found this one in a for sale dragster that I had to buy to obtain it in NJ.
Early nineties I pleaded with Mopar to offer/build an Alum carrier, they blew off and said there was no market. Decade later in was in their catalog

View attachment 1661143
Good to know. I weighed the center section of the unit I am running, 3.91, Sure-Grip, '489' housing and it came in at 73 pounds.

Good to know. I weighed the center section of the unit I am running, 3.91, Sure-Grip, '489' housing and it came in at 73 pounds.
I just weighed my new 9" aluminum center. In the bottom half of the box it came in (whole box around 5 lbs) It weighed 61.6, with 4,10 gear and a steel spool. I'm kinda disappointed it's not lighter, but I guess it has to be heavier than I expected, to be strong enough.

BTW I would guess the MW Alum carrier is a few lbs heavier than the Mopar Alum carrier, for reference check out the difference between the two in the mounting flange thickness.

Back