• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum fuel lines, thoughts?

747mopar

Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
Just curious what the thoughts were regarding aluminum fuel lines mostly in regards to today's fuels? I'm getting ready to replumb my fuel system and really don't like the idea of running any form of hose from front to back for the simple fact that you have to fasten it down so frequently to get a nice clean result. After looking at options it appears all of the AN to tubing adapter fittings are made for aluminum tubing, no stainless options. My car has had a 3/8" aluminum fuel line on it since I built it (19,000 miles) BUT I haven't had it off yet to see how it looks inside so... Just wasn't sure since steel in a no no with ethanol and I know aluminum corrodes.

I've had a 1/2 aluminum line on my car for 20 years, no complaints. I just bought another coil of 1/2" to replace about ten feet of -6 braided line (edit: on a different car) that leaks like a sprinkler fountain. Using a/n adapters on both ends.

After looking at options it appears all of the AN to tubing adapter fittings are made for aluminum tubing, no stainless options. My

You're not limited to "AN" fittings, that's just what everyone in the Hotrod industry flogs "because" they're made of aluminum. Originally these were made for the aircraft industry to save weight - I seem to recall the "AN" refers to "Army Navy". To ensure they weren't mixed with other types of fittings they have a specific taper where they seal to each other.

However, there is a very broad selection of fittings for the hydraulic industry and its worth checking out at a local hydraulics retailer like Parker Store.

Just curious what the thoughts were regarding aluminum fuel lines mostly in regards to today's fuels? I'm getting ready to replumb my fuel system and really don't like the idea of running any form of hose from front to back for the simple fact that you have to fasten it down so frequently to get a nice clean result. After looking at options it appears all of the AN to tubing adapter fittings are made for aluminum tubing, no stainless options. My car has had a 3/8" aluminum fuel line on it since I built it (19,000 miles) BUT I haven't had it off yet to see how it looks inside so... Just wasn't sure since steel in a no no with ethanol and I know aluminum corrodes.
What about stainless steel? Is it ok with today's fuels?

Probably the best stuff you can use. The problem with today's fuels is the alcohol, ethanol or methanol content. These are very corrosive and attack metal. Plain, uncoated steel would hold up the worst. Stainless would be the best. The problem with stainless though is that its very hard and is not easily flaired and even when it is its so hard it doesn't conform or crush easily to form a seal. I'd probably stick with aluminum. The companies making aluminum fuel line know the issues and are probably coating it inside to prevent corrosion.

gkent pretty well summed it up, excellent against corrosion but a lot harder to work with. Most modern cars are using a combination of plastic and stainless lines.

You're not limited to "AN" fittings, that's just what everyone in the Hotrod industry flogs "because" they're made of aluminum. Originally these were made for the aircraft industry to save weight - I seem to recall the "AN" refers to "Army Navy". To ensure they weren't mixed with other types of fittings they have a specific taper where they seal to each other.

However, there is a very broad selection of fittings for the hydraulic industry and its worth checking out at a local hydraulics retailer like Parker Store.
I'm aware but thanks to the popularity amongst car enthusiast AN fittings have become very affordable while looking nice under the hood plus they seem to be more compact?

I'm aware but thanks to the popularity amongst car enthusiast AN fittings have become very affordable while looking nice under the hood plus they seem to be more compact?
And they finally make them in colors other than red and blue !!

I had an aircraft flaring tool and if I remember correctly, it said the flares were 37 1/2°. I always assumed the difference was to prevent people from using automotive parts on aircraft

I've run aluminum fuel line for 20+ years without any issue at all. Stainless steel would work too, but is harder to work with, more expensive and doesn't offer any benefits over aluminum as far as I can tell

i have had aluminum lines on my cars from the mid 70s you might want to put some heat blocking padding by the muffers or any other heat source

YES! Black for me, I don't like all the crazy colors.
1682957705923.jpeg
Nd9GcSrAowPtFbEW07MwacdMGmjLzXB6ShQqg9_fw&usqp=CAU.png

I'll just throw this out there... if you buy AN fittings from a proper source vs a speed shop, they come in Aluminum, plain steel, bronze and stainless steel. I have a "few" of most..
DCP00179.JPG

I agree that stainless lines is harder to work with, but once its done you won't have to touch them again.
I bent my 3/8" fuel lines and 3/16" brake lines from stainless and I used that tiny hand bender.
I use the regular flared brake fittings along with DOT5 fluid with no leakage.
Fuel line.jpg
Fuel line1.jpg
Brake line.jpg

I agree that stainless lines is harder to work with, but once its done you won't have to touch them again.
I bent my 3/8" fuel lines and 3/16" brake lines from stainless and I used that tiny hand bender.
I use the regular flared brake fittings along with DOT5 fluid with no leakage.
I bought stainless for my 1970 Cadillac and my 1977 Grand Prix. One of the Cadillac fittings was wrong, so I had to cut the line, take the fitting from the old line and install it on the new line. The only problem was that my Harbor Freight flaring tool didn't have the balls to flare SS lines. I had to buy a more expensive flaring tool that could handle SS, but I'll have it for life, and the Cadillac has new SS brake lines that don't leak.

Flaring tool.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back