• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum or Magnesium?????

HEMI-ITIS

STREETER on LI
Local time
3:13 PM
Reaction score
I have an old set of hemi valve covers by DART,how can I tell if they are aluminum or magnesium???:edgy:

****!!! 018.jpg

Touch them with a torch for a second and if they explode the are magnesium.:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Seriously, I sincerely doubt they are magnesium, I know they made intake manifold out of magnesium but i have never heard of magnesium valve covers.

Actually dodge uses mag valve covers on the newer ohc 4.7. if they feel too light for the size, they are mag.

If you sand them (320/400 grit) and they get brighter, they are aluminum. I you sand them and they appear darker they are magnesium. Mind you if they are badly oxidized this could be difficult to determine...They are likely aluminum, I say that due to the appearance of galvanic corrosion on the outside of them, unless the white powdery residue is from something else. Try the inside of the covers with this test.

The new F 150's rad support and Chev PU dash supports are Magnesium as well...light weight.

You know, i've always wondered what that little KB thingy on the top of the valve covers was for??? Decoration??? :edgy:

Magnesium turns dark as it oxidizes and that one looks pretty dark to me. I'll agree if it feels like it's too light for it's size (or gives you the effect that it's made of plastic) then it just might be mag.

The torch method is a sure bet :tongueflap:

A drop of silver nitrate will tell. It will not react with aluminum, but will leave a black deposit of silver on magnesium.

Just a note on the "too light for it's size",I held a magnesium K-frame once.You would have thought it was for a full size plastic model,virtually weightless!
RT

Auto Transport Service
Back