• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum vs. steel for a 65 Hemi hood scoop?

aldal

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:58 AM
Reaction score
I am in the process of having a Hemi style hood scoop fabricated for my 65 Dodge Coronet and my choices are aluminum or steel - same price. I could use any advice on which way to go. The weight difference doesn't really make a difference to me but I plan on having the body dings and such fixed and repainting the car so is one type better for painting? Thanks for any information or tips anyone can bounce around it really helps.

How will the scoop be attached to the hood? It will be easier to weld it on if it's a steel scoop, aluminum will need bonding, unless you use rivets or screws. Of course the aluminum will polish up nicely if you want the paint free look. Painting aluminum is no problem, look at all the airplanes in the sky or cars with aluminum panels. The aluminum will be easier to dent though.

Both ways will come with factory style mounts that bolt the scoop on.

If it makes any difference to you original hemi scoops for 65 were steel. 1964 was aluminum
Matt

I think steel it will be, thanks guys

Wow whos doing it for ya ?!, and if you dont mind whats it setting you back, i have a 65 plymouth and would also like to purches one when the time comes.

I think steel it will be, thanks guys

Moparcrazy, I think I sent you a PM with the info. (if I did it correctly) if not let me know and I will resend it.

Yeah, am I going to see it at Mopar's in the Park? LOL

What about a fiberglass scoop ? My Max Wedge scoop was given to me from a friend and its a thick fiberglass. Its very strong and works good. Ron

100_1777.jpg

How did the scoop turn out?

Believe it or not I'm still waiting for it. I knew it was going to be a long wait from the outset as Joey had a few to make....and he does great work so I can wait.

Don't mean to butt in but, I am also looking for a steel hemi hood scoop for my 65 coronet. Would you mind letting me know where to look.

Don't mean to butt in but, I am also looking for a steel hemi hood scoop for my 65 coronet. Would you mind letting me know where to look.

I ordered a steel one (paid up front) from Joey Cole aka The Tynman because he does beautiful work but it has been 2 years and I am still waiting so unless you want a fiberglass one (which I had from The Glass Man - Sled City Fiberglass, also very good quality) I really don't know. If I ever see mine I will let you know and PM you Joeys phone number.

Auto Transport Service
Back