• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum water pump - bolt heads hit pulley

ExWrench

Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1970 440 and I purchased a "Mopar Licensed" aluminum water pump housing and water pump. The pump mounting flange is cast thicker than a stock cast iron unit. The heads of the pump mounting bolts now hit the back of a stock steel water pump pulley. Has anyone else run into this problem and how did you solve it?

I've seen those with button head Allen bolts installed.

I've not had this problem with aluminum pumps, but you can always take a flapper wheel and shave down the bolt heads a bit for clearance, won't hurt a thing.
Out of curiosity, who's pump do you have? It may be helpful for folks to know if they should steer away from that particular unit.

Show us some pictures of the situation, please.

If the bolts that interfere with the pulley have flat washers remove them. That should give you the clearance you need.

Show us some pictures of the situation, please.
F2AAF8EE-CA43-430C-B277-B947B62B5189.jpeg

The distance from the pulley mounting surface to the front of pump housing is shorter than on the OEM cast iron pump.

I've not had this problem with aluminum pumps, but you can always take a flapper wheel and shave down the bolt heads a bit for clearance, won't hurt a thing.
Out of curiosity, who's pump do you have? It may be helpful for folks to know if they should steer away from that particular unit.
I believe its an Edelbrock pump. Same issue with a proform pump I got from Summit. They all look the same, (probably from the same Chinese manufacturer.)

Counter sink bolts if think you have the material. You don't need to make heads flush. Just an idea.

I put march wide belt pulleys on a 383 one time and the bolts on the eddy pump hit. I ground them down to where a socket just barely had enough of the one edge to catch to tighten. Was all proud of myself for that one. Then I went to toss the box and saw it came with a set of the Allen head bolts that would’ve cleared without issue.

I have a 1970 440 and I purchased a "Mopar Licensed" aluminum water pump housing and water pump. The pump mounting flange is cast thicker than a stock cast iron unit. The heads of the pump mounting bolts now hit the back of a stock steel water pump pulley. Has anyone else run into this problem and how did you solve it?
I recall grinding the bolt heads off a little , but its been about 12ish yrs ago..

I used header bolts a few times....7/16" hex.

Auto Transport Service
Back