• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am/fm radio not working

Dwaz45

Local time
12:16 AM
Reaction score
I have an am/fm radio in my 68 roadrunner that doesn't seem to be working. When power is applied the lights come on but the only sound that comes out is a quick static blip when switching from AM to FM. When I looked closer to try to figure it out I saw a cord coming out the back that was routed over to the glove box with what looks like an mp3 jack or something similar. I recently inherited this car from my father who had been restoring it but stopped about 10 years ago. While I was looking at some of his posts on another mopar forum I saw that he had been in contact with Wards classic radio and it appears he sent the radio to them. My question if anyone knows is this ..... if the radio was modernized, is there something I'm not doing right ? Might the controls have been changed to operate differently? It's possible that the radio just doesn't work in the 10 years since he sent it out but it kinda feels like I'm not doing something right ...I was hoping maybe someone has some insight. I know wards is no longer in operation or I would reach out to them.

IMG_20211215_200038.jpg 20211211_102158.jpg

Just to clarify when the power it turned on the light comes on? The light should only come on when the lights are turned on. [Orange wire I believe]. The other wire should come on when the key is turned on.

Just to clarify when the power it turned on the light comes on? The light should only come on when the lights are turned on. [Orange wire I believe]. The other wire should come on when the key is turned on.
The car isn't complete yet. Applying power seeing what works what doesn't. But you are right about the light......when lights are on. It's been 10 years since the radio was done and almost that long since work stopped on the car. And I know when things sit that long gremlins do their magic lol

I have a working am radio I'm going to put in until I can send the am/fm somewhere to get fixed. I was just wondering with that input cord coming out the back that maybe there was something simple I was overlooking and someone else might enlighten me. But realistically the radio probably just doesn't work.

I have a working am radio I'm going to put in until I can send the am/fm somewhere to get fixed. I was just wondering with that input cord coming out the back that maybe there was something simple I was overlooking and someone else might enlighten me. But realistically the radio probably just doesn't work.
That cord has to be for a device to play into it. I would double check a few things first. Wards was always known for top quality work.

Ya I've heard nothing but good about them. And the radio appears in EXCELLENT shape so I'm assuming inside is probably pretty good as well that's why I was hoping there was some simple thing to do with that external jack that I wasn't noticing. But heck for all I know maybe the radio doesn't work except for to route external music through the speakers or something. I'll send it off and see what's up

Do you have a phone or ipod that you can plug in and see if you get something out of it. If Ward's did repair/modify it there's probably nothing wrong. Without paperwork it could be operator error. Are you sure the speaker is good? Ofcourse 10 years on the shelf maybe some capacitors have dried up.

Do you have a phone or ipod that you can plug in and see if you get something out of it. If Ward's did repair/modify it there's probably nothing wrong. Without paperwork it could be operator error. Are you sure the speaker is good? Ofcourse 10 years on the shelf maybe some capacitors have dried up.
It's funny I was just thinking this a minute ago before I read your comment I'll have to find a cord and try to connect to that and see what happens. I'm not positive wards did it I found a post on another forum from my father commenting on a thread that wards was commenting on and my father said he was sending him a radio shortly.....but I have no paperwork and it was 10 years ago. I feel it is operator issue also lol. I'm just kinda stymied.

It's funny I was just thinking this a minute ago before I read your comment I'll have to find a cord and try to connect to that and see what happens. I'm not positive wards did it I found a post on another forum from my father commenting on a thread that wards was commenting on and my father said he was sending him a radio shortly.....but I have no paperwork and it was 10 years ago. I feel it is operator issue also lol. I'm just kinda stymied.
I have a 67 AM radio that Ward's did, probably one of his last. The only thing that works like the original radio is the on/off and volume. Without instructions and/or frequent use it would be a real task to figure out. If it's been upgraded to modern electronics, it will more than likely have provisions for 4 channel stereo, which means a lot more wires coming from it. If not modified you just have a black/green speaker connection and your red/orange power connection and the MP3 jack will exit the radio in another location. Ofcourse there will be the antenna input jack. Look at it, it should be easy to tell, unless it's already installed and you can't put your eyes on the wiring.

It’s usually the electrolytic capacitors that go bad in old electronics. Replacing all the caps brings them back to life.

Thanks everyone. I have a couple things to check now before I give up and send it out

Just a note:

The radio will not get reception unless an antenna is plugged in. And then ONLY when outdoors, not in a shop or garage (or tunnel, or under a bridge, or next to power lines etc. Ahhhh...the good old days)

And I agree with the guys here. Plug something into the aux port that you see. If I remember correctly some of the aux conversions powered up by turning the radio on, then off, then on again, or something like that.

When the radio is turned on its not just that there's no reception......there's no static no nothing. After I found the aux cable the first thought I had was that it reminded me of how a radio will cut completely out when you turn it to cd or aux.

Ps I looked at back of radio and it appears as it should with stock wires and colors. Except for the mp3 looking input jack

That is definitely an input jack that Ward's added. I have the same on my 70 am/8 track that was restored/updated by them. If you do not get any output while trying the jack I would suspect the speaker connections.

When the radio is turned on its not just that there's no reception......there's no static no nothing. After I found the aux cable the first thought I had was that it reminded me of how a radio will cut completely out when you turn it to cd or aux.
Without an outside antenna you won't even get static in most cases.
Your aux jack should work though.

You may have to remove the top cover from the radio and see if it looks like this

DSC03536.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back