• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am/fm radio not working

Just a note:

The radio will not get reception unless an antenna is plugged in. And then ONLY when outdoors, not in a shop or garage (or tunnel, or under a bridge, or next to power lines etc. Ahhhh...the good old days)

And I agree with the guys here. Plug something into the aux port that you see. If I remember correctly some of the aux conversions powered up by turning the radio on, then off, then on again, or something like that.

Not completely true. Antenna needed yes. Outdoors false. Dependent on your location. My original AM-FM will get AM and FM signal in my shop and I am in a very rural area.. I would make sure you ave 12 volts key on at the radio along with a good ground. A known good antenna plugged in and correct speakers. Not knowing what Wards did there may be a switch or procedure for the radio to work. You may be on a MP3 AUX. mode.

Well I hooked up an AM radio that I had and even in the garage it was pulling in stations pretty strongly. So there's more to the issue than that. Next I pulled the top off and to my untrained eye, lol it looks original and old. But overall pretty clean and in good shape. The only thing apparent is where someone (may have been wards but not sure) soldered the mp3 wire into some existing stuff in there

20211216_204719.jpg 20211216_204727.jpg

That MP3 setup looks like what Wards did for my radio. That was typical for them to restore as factory and add the MP3. Hope your able to figure out the issue.

An update on my radio issue. I found the paperwork from wards with what he did to it. I would really like to use this radio. It appears that it worked 11 years ago when it was returned from wards. Should I send it out again to somebody to fix ? Or are there user serviceable things that can be done by me ?

20211221_024856~2.jpg 20211221_024856.jpg

Ps I looked at back of radio and it appears as it should with stock wires and colors. Except for the mp3 looking input jack
My am radio was modernized to am-fm and all has the jack to attach outside device, try and unplug cord from radio, on mine it has to be unplugged for radio to operate normally I think , could be wrong but worth a try! Clay Taymon in Florida did mine ! Does good job! Ck his web site for help ! Good to talk to ! Could send to him for ck up !

On Btw , to get the external jack to work mine needs to be tuned all way to left side on the dial , station selector

My am radio was modernized to am-fm and all has the jack to attach outside device, try and unplug cord from radio, on mine it has to be unplugged for radio to operate normally I think , could be wrong but worth a try! Clay Taymon in Florida did mine ! Does good job! Ck his web site for help ! Good to talk to ! Could send to him for ck up !
I will probably do that. I pulled the top off and the mp3 cable is hard wired in everything looks good though it's strange it just doesn't work. I'll screw around a bit with it. it's out of the car but I have a speaker and a battery I'll mess around a bit with it. Maybe sitting for 11 years some stuff corroded or something. The only sound comes out is a popping noise when you work the am/fm switch. But no static or anything. I'll check out that website. Thanks

I will probably do that. I pulled the top off and the mp3 cable is hard wired in everything looks good though it's strange it just doesn't work. I'll screw around a bit with it. it's out of the car but I have a speaker and a battery I'll mess around a bit with it. Maybe sitting for 11 years some stuff corroded or something. The only sound comes out is a popping noise when you work the am/fm switch. But no static or anything. I'll check out that website. Thanks
It would be crazy if all was needed was a procedure to operate. The son may give you some insight. Google a couple sights and maybe you could connect with him. All I know is the fathers/kingpin passing was devastating to the family. Ward's always had a good following.

It would be crazy if all was needed was a procedure to operate. The son may give you some insight. Google a couple sights and maybe you could connect with him. All I know is the fathers/kingpin passing was devastating to the family. Ward's always had a good following.
I'll do some more sleuthing lol

Well it's been 3 months and I finally had time to mess with my radio. I hooked up speakers and power to it and used an older phone with a headphone jack to plug into the mp3 input coming out the radio, and music plays through the speakers. I also have corresponded with a Mr Gary Tayman in Florida and he no longer repairs radios, he only modernized them now. Has anyone out there had a radio repaired recently? Or can recommend a place that does repairs?

Well it's been 3 months and I finally had time to mess with my radio. I hooked up speakers and power to it and used an older phone with a headphone jack to plug into the mp3 input coming out the radio, and music plays through the speakers. I also have corresponded with a Mr Gary Tayman in Florida and he no longer repairs radios, he only modernized them now. Has anyone out there had a radio repaired recently? Or can recommend a place that does repairs?
:popcorn: me too. My 70 AM/FM still works, but I have a nice 68-69 AM that doesn't as well as a couple of 66-67's that the status is unknown.

I just had my radio restored by JV Restorations in CA. https://jvrestorations.com/
Joe did service Level 2 at $140. He reconed my speaker for $75.
Shipping back to me was $22. Total was $237
You may use this email [email protected] to connect with him.
I haven't had a chance to try the radio yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back