• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I OCD to keep the old master cyl cap?

OK guys, I understand the votes for the dual MC, but I am not going there right now. Life gets in the way, and I have not been driving my '64 for 3 years because it needed a front brake job and master cylinder. I would like to do the dual pot swap and front discs, but that is probably after the last kid is grown! And I have only driven the car about 6K miles since I bought it in 1987! Anyway, I did the job and painted the old lid witn Rustoleum chrome paint. It dont really look like chrome, but it does match the finish on the new "flat" cap that came with the new Raybestos master cylinder. Just to keep my OCD haopy, this is the look after finishing the job. )Pics of the new MC with the flat cap, and then with the old cap installed.) 64 Ply cap 4.jpg64 Ply cap 2.jpg64 Ply cap 1.jpg

OK guys, I understand the votes for the dual MC, but I am not going there right now. Life gets in the way, and I have not been driving my '64 for 3 years because it needed a front brake job and master cylinder. I would like to do the dual pot swap and front discs, but that is probably after the last kid is grown! And I have only driven the car about 6K miles since I bought it in 1987! Anyway, I did the job and painted the old lid witn Rustoleum chrome paint. It dont really look like chrome, but it does match the finish on the new "flat" cap that came with the new Raybestos master cylinder. Just to keep my OCD haopy, this is the look after finishing the job. )Pics of the new MC with the flat cap, and then with the old cap installed.)View attachment 272658View attachment 272659View attachment 272660

Brakes are the one thing ALWAYS have time and $$$ for.

Glad the spray bombed cap makes you feel better...

-1 for the dual master cylinder. I had a brake line fail on me once with a single reservoir and yes, it scared the crap out of me. Emergency brake worked and no one died in a ball of flames.

These widow makers have worked for decades in the past and will continue to work for the life of your car as long as you maintain the brake system.

my 2 cents

If it's not broken don't fix it.

I'm nor sure if it matters much in the end, but I think along the same lines...if it can be saved, it must bring value to the car. To clean off rust, I use Lysol toilet bowl cleaner. You would be amazed how it attacks rust, BUT A WORD OF CAUTION! Give the rusted area a good coat and leave it on for 5-10 minutes and wash it off real good. Repeat if necessary, but when you're done wash it off 3 times and apply WD40. Make sure that you get rid of anything that made contact with that stuff, because it is an acid. I got it into a bench top once and anything that touches that area was attacked by the acid residue.

Beautiful car, by the way.

Auto Transport Service
Back