• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Chrysler Unibody and Suspension System Torsion Bars and Leaf Spring Configuration

SatelliteOfLove

Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
Uncle Tony's Garage
The Chrysler unibody design was one of the strongest and most versatile chassis ever used in a mass produced auto. Here's a tour of one showing the basic layout along with the trouble and rust prone areas, and how to keep yours solid.

What Makes Mopars Awesome​

Back in the day, every auto manufacturer had beautiful bodies and incredible engines, but only Chrysler fitted it's cars with a standard suspension born to go fast.

The issues I’ve noticed is the aprons crack. I would believe it if the aprons didn’t crack but I agree with several of the things he says

The torsion bars, which first appeared in 1957, were years ahead of their time. They allowed for a huge reduction in un-sprung weight that helped handling. 'Packaging' was also easier. Chrys also developed anti-dive braking.

Uncle Tony's Garage
The Chrysler unibody design was one of the strongest and most versatile chassis ever used in a mass produced auto. Here's a tour of one showing the basic layout along with the trouble and rust prone areas, and how to keep yours solid.
Opinions vary. Richard Petty, for one, wasn't impressed. In his words, to make the cars raceworthy;

"...the first thing we did was cut away all the "unit-body" frame they all bragged about in their advertising. It was a joke, if you want to know the truth. It wasn't safe for going to the grocery store, let alone flipping down the racetrack at 180 mph."

The torsion bars, which first appeared in 1957, were years ahead of their time. They allowed for a huge reduction in un-sprung weight that helped handling. 'Packaging' was also easier. Chrys also developed anti-dive braking.
They may have appeared that year for Chrysler, but were well known before that. WWII Tiger tanks used torsion bar suspension. Citroen used it in the 1930s as did the original VW beetles, and Hudson. It was found on some British cars in the 1940s, some of those applications used it on all four corners.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Norm Thatcher went 191.89 mph in a 1960 Dodge Dart in 1962. it was the first year of uni body construction.....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Norm Thatcher went 191.89 mph in a 1960 Dodge Dart in 1962. it was the first year of uni body construction.....
Always have heard about the torsion bars, even though my 1969 340 Dart Swinger probably had them never knew what they were, or what they did, til I watched this video.
Now that I have this 1966 Satellite want to be better informed on every aspect.
If anyone can direct me to a video on how to set the choke and fast idle cam properly on a period Carter 2 barrel carburetor, would be appreciated .

example video on a Ford Autolite 4100/2100 carburetor

I suggest that you view "Uncle Tony" as mere entertainment and not factual programming.

Yea the NASCAR Indy 500 guys of old were stuck in there ways.
They were under attack so I don't blame them. They weren't just battling on the track.
But it took a while to realize, that yes technology has moved on. They all went mid engine monocoque after struggling to stay with the old chassis, so just because one man has his opinions at one time doesn't mean they don't adjust over time.
Look at 1964-1966 what happened.

Last edited:
Why do some entities try to steer the conversation so hard so they are the only ones who's info or opinions that matter or even should be presented, and use what "knowledge" they have to demean others. They need a better system on here than ignore.

Well for the "most" part, this site is filled w majority conservative people who really aren't worried if your feelings are hurt. And a lot of times don't feel the need to discuss, (exchange of intelligence) or argue (exchange of ignorance) with others about their viewpoint.

There’s a few writes ups on this in a few threads but this is what I meant

587F804C-693F-4A65-B5A1-5B03389BB3C8.jpeg

Well for the "most" part, this site is filled w majority conservative people who really aren't worried if your feelings are hurt. And a lot of times don't feel the need to discuss, (exchange of intelligence) or argue (exchange of ignorance) with others about their viewpoint.
Believe me ************* I'm no snowflake.
This site has no use to me, if not for the exchange of information , parts and ideas

Hmmmm.... your reaction contradicts your post. But hey, just an uneducated southern redneck's observation.
Believe me ************* I'm no snowflake.
This site has no use to me, if not for the exchange of information , parts and ideas

Why do some entities try to steer the conversation so hard so they are the only ones who's info or opinions that matter or even should be presented, and use what "knowledge" they have to demean others. They need a better system on here than ignore.
Probably for similar reasons that some new members seem to lock out their profile so that nobody knows who/what/where/when/how old/etc. so forum members can't get a feel for where their comments or position on something is coming from...

So the site is of no use to you, well other than the exchange of information, parts and ideas. That's an interesting tact...

Auto Transport Service
Back