• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ammeter shows dischargehttp

grn66

Local time
6:57 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to this site but am glad I registered! Here's my current problem, I have a 66 Charger 383 and was having overcharging problems and after replacing the engine wire harness (as a precaution but needed done anyway) I then saw that the alt. was putting out almost 16.5 volts and volt meter fluctuated from 3/4 to full. So before getting more problems and reading I decided the voltage regulator may not be working correctly (old points type). After reading some threads I replaced it with an autozone reg. #VR706 (which had signs of previously used but it was the only one available). Now volt meter goes from the middle to discharge...is this newly puchased reg.:headbang: bad? Thoughts...on how to test?

I'd say you have a problem somewhere which will get uglier if not found.

Hi all,
I am new to this site but am glad I registered! Here's my current problem, I have a 66 Charger 383 and was having overcharging problems and after replacing the engine wire harness (as a precaution but needed done anyway) I then saw that the alt. was putting out almost 16.5 volts and volt meter fluctuated from 3/4 to full. So before getting more problems and reading I decided the voltage regulator may not be working correctly (old points type). After reading some threads I replaced it with an autozone reg. #VR706 (which had signs of previously used but it was the only one available). Now volt meter goes from the middle to discharge...is this newly puchased reg.:headbang: bad? Thoughts...on how to test?

Depends on when it does what. If its in the center when driving, but goes toward discharge at stop lights, that is pretty much normal. Especially if you have lights on or fan on. Now if the needle is bouncing toward the negative side of the guage when the rpm's are above idle, then we have a problem with the charging system.

Thanks, to clarify, the old volt reg. showed charge (on volt meter) between 3/4 to pegged out. I then changed regulator to solid state (Duralast #VR706) and the volt meter now goes from the middle to discharge (more rpm's more discharge), but only negative between 1/4 and half mark(as viewed on volt meter). Remember when I purchased the "new" regulator it had signs of being "used". I did have the salesman note that so I can take it back!

Are you talking ammeter or voltmeter? If it still has the factory ammeter, I'd bypass it and put in a voltmeter. Having an ammeter is like having an idiot light instead of an oil pressure gauge.....

Thanks for the input and I think I actually have this in working order...for now! I went to replace the regulator (this time with and unused one) and upon installing I read the instructions that requested to check ohms at the alt. and should have a reading of 2.5 or better, well I read .75 (there abouts), so I removed the alternator and this was found to be bad! After replacing the alternator, regulator we now have 14.5 volts coming from the alternator. All appears well, dash voltmeter now reads approx. 3/4...appears high but voltage coming out is now within acceptables. Sound good?

Auto Transport Service
Back