• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AN6 to standard rubber fuel line

Jeff Erwin

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
I am needing to attach a rubber fuel line to an AN6 braided line but cannot find any good way to do this. I purchased a nipple (see photo) but the male connector isn't really AN6. Anyone know how to do this?

I have braided lines from the three carbs but need to connect to either the fuel line (nipple) or eventually to the vapor canister (also nipple) I know I can get an AN6 fuel filter, but there is only one source for the vapor separation canister on a 440 and it has nipples.

IMG_6689.JPG
IMG_6690.JPG

The AN sizes fittings (-4 =1/4", -6 =3/8", etc) are also known as JIC or Triple Lock fittings.
I use them a lot at work for hydraulic systems, the smaller size steel fittings go up to 6000 PSI work pressure.
The thread is BSP Parallel so a BSP Taper (or NPT) will thread in till a certain extend but the fitment is wrong and will not seal off. (like the hose and fitting you showed)
The dash fitting needs the taper cone to create a sealing surface, the thread is just for connecting and securing.
As above shown already, find a Male AN fitting to hose barb in the size you need.

Threaded fittings like BSP Parallel or Metric threads always use a seal/gasket or O-ring for sealing, indicated by a designation like ORB (O-Ring Boss) or ORSF (O-Ring Sealing Face) but are commonly not seen for non-industrial purposes. (general industrial fittings go by work pressures of 1500-3000 psi, not for cars)
Most AN fittings have a 37 deg cone to create a metal to metal sealing face on this taper section, other brands might use different angles as well.
BSP Taper (NPT), requires to be installed with a type of thread sealant like teflon tape or thread sealant to create a positive seal between the threads.

The AN sizes fittings (-4 =1/4", -6 =3/8", etc) are also known as JIC or Triple Lock fittings.
I use them a lot at work for hydraulic systems, the smaller size steel fittings go up to 6000 PSI work pressure.
The thread is BSP Parallel so a BSP Taper (or NPT) will thread in till a certain extend but the fitment is wrong and will not seal off. (like the hose and fitting you showed)
The dash fitting needs the taper cone to create a sealing surface, the thread is just for connecting and securing.
As above shown already, find a Male AN fitting to hose barb in the size you need.

Threaded fittings like BSP Parallel or Metric threads always use a seal/gasket or O-ring for sealing, indicated by a designation like ORB (O-Ring Boss) or ORSF (O-Ring Sealing Face) but are commonly not seen for non-industrial purposes. (general industrial fittings go by work pressures of 1500-3000 psi, not for cars)
Most AN fittings have a 37 deg cone to create a metal to metal sealing face on this taper section, other brands might use different angles as well.
BSP Taper (NPT), requires to be installed with a type of thread sealant like teflon tape or thread sealant to create a positive seal between the threads.

Thank you Bob Renton! :lol:

Thank you Bob Renton!
Damnit.... call me Rob then.
I can't help it with thread fittings, so many times at work i see a mis match of fittings raped together somehow and it makes my blood boil, so I have to say something! :)

look at

Auto Transport Service
Back