• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Annoying rattle coming from loose diff seal cover

Pauls68

Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

Humbly looking for some advice here, I have a really annoying rattle, (sounds like I am towing a tamborine around) I have worked out that what I think is a seal cover has come loose. (see attached picture) I would really appreciate your feedback on the following:

A. best way to reattach it, I was thinking cleaning surface with Wax and grease remover and then using window sealant,

B. Seeing that it has somehow detached itself, maybe caught on something, the edges look like they have been bent out of shape, will this have caused any issues with the diff.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can throw at me.
*note the attached pic is not the actual diff, I have a 741, but there is more of gap for it to move around on mine than shown in this picture.
Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 8.44.12 PM.png

Might try epoxy but weather strip adhesive (yellow) may do the job too. The cover protects the front seal but I've seen plenty of people not even use one.

I would suggest a really good cleaning (carb cleaner, etc.) to remove oil from that area and use black RTV. The epoxy will hold better, but epoxy is brittle & prone to cracking with vibration. RTV will hold "good enough" and is flexible, so it won't crack & and will keep that rattle coming back. You could use red/blue RTV also....still flexible enough, dries (cures) better, but color will be noticeable....maybe clear RTV from the hardware store in the bathroom section?

Cut that thing off! Once they get loose or bent, it's best to just 86 it!

Thanks for all of the advice guys. Went with the black RTV option this afternoon. So will let it set and hopefully forget.
If it fails though that cover is coming off for sure.

Auto Transport Service
Back