• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another 67 wheel width question

Osyman

Local time
5:02 AM
Reaction score
Looking at a 17x9, 5inch backspace, with a 275/50 or 255/50. I know everyone says a 9" wheel won't fit, are the leaf springs the problem? I was looking at p-s-t's leaf spring relocation kit that moves them in 3inches. Would these make them fit or is the outside of the wheel going to rub? Or something else?

Osyman, I just put 275/60/15 on my 66 Satellite. They do fill up that wheel well!!LOL.
I do have a small rub issue on the passenger side. Installing air shocks tomorrow to fix that issue. BTW the fronts are 225/70/15. The rims are 15x7 front 4" BS and 15x8 rear 4.5" BS.
The front are 27.4" tall and the rear is 28.0". The stance is awesome.

Osyman, I just put 275/60/15 on my 66 Satellite. They do fill up that wheel well!!LOL.
I do have a small rub issue on the passenger side. Installing air shocks tomorrow to fix that issue. BTW the fronts are 225/70/15. The rims are 15x7 front 4" BS and 15x8 rear 4.5" BS.
I would like to see detailed pics of that! I also have a 66 and just don't see 275-60's fitting in there very well. How much height do you need to have to get rid of the rub and exactly where do they rub?

Pics

Here is my 66 Sat with the new tires

Attachments

• 100_0244.jpg
    100_0244.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_0246.jpg
    100_0246.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 367
That does look great! I already have air shocks, but is raising it up putting the weight on the shock?(not good)

Slick66 that looks awesome!
The air shocks help clear the rubbing issue and lift the rear by an inch or two.
With the staggered tire fitment and air shocks,the car has the rake and stance that takes you back to the 60's/70's.
Now take it to the track and play with tire pressures and air shock pressures to get a good launch!! Make that baby hook up!! LOL!!

Osyman,raising up the air shocks a little bit (40 45 PSI) does not put all the weight on the shocks/shock mounting points.
A little common sense comes to play here,IMO.
Damage can only occur with them pumped up to the max over 60/90 PSI with the car gutted empty.The rear suspension will be rock hard and have no travel.
Besides the plastic air lines and o-rings can only hold so much pressure before they blow off anyways (I found that out,LOL!!)
I run 35-40 PSI empty,and 50 PSI when loaded.
Hope that helps.

Alright that makes sense. Just looking at the ion 625. Either 17x8 4.25bs or 17x9 5inch bs. Guess the 8 inch wide will work with some air in the shocks. A guy was using 235's out back on them but I think 245's would work even with the short backspace.

Thanks guys, I,m real pleased with the way the stance turned out. The ride is incredible. I have very little pressure in the shocks, just enough to prevent it from bottoming out. They almost work with no pressure, but would void the warranty. Waygun, I used the Monroe Max Air MA757 like you suggested. When I replace the 1/4's I will expand the wheel wells so the lift is not required. Osyman, the bs is a VERY important factor. The fronts need 4" and the rears need 4.5 and they should fit like mine. I followed Wayguns recommendations from a previous thread, as you can see he knows his stuff. Thanks for the nice stance I have Waygun!!

The stance does look great, but what you are planning to do is going to create some problems. First, with passengers in the rear seat it will certainly rub BAD and will likely cause tire damage without the air shocks. Second, unlike some have stated the air shock WILL cause damage to the upper mounting points of the body/shocks due to hard take offs and excelleration (of course you will probably NEVER do that.)

You aren't going to like to hear this, but the only solution is to reduce the tire size.

Thank you,Slick66.
Rim and tire choices are such a personal choice and I respect other differences of opinions.
So,some of my suggestions may not work on others,and that is OK.

Wheels and tires one of the most talked about subjects.
There are several threads goin on now.
A lot comes into play when selecting rims and tires.Throw in rear gear ratios,suspension set ups & travel,and what the car's intended use is going to be (drag/street,or autocross/power tour)--it does get involved.
I have been in the tire business for many years and many satisifed customers that approached me with their classic cars--mopars and other makes.
I did make mistakes in regards to fitments--and learned from them and also from experimenting with my own cars.
That's the perk of working at a shop--test fitting schtuff ON MY OWN CARS to see if it fits or not!!
CHEERS!!!
Her's a few customer's rides I handled rims/tires for.
JiffyAutoServiceandPerformance059.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

JIFFY_AUTO_SERVICE_030.jpg

JIFFY_AUTO_SERVICE_021.jpg

Me in the showroom.
100_1641.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back