• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another attempt by MS to FORCE you to buy their new OS

No worries! I've been using Chrome for years. IMO it's a better browser & I've had a lot less issues.

I am guessing you are not what is known as an "early adopter" and still have a large collection of music on cassettes and a great movie collection on VHS tapes!

If Microsoft was doing this kind of crap back in the 60s and 70s, they would have been hauled into court by the justice department and broken up (remember Ma Bell). Now it's money talks and they can do pretty much whatever the hell they want with no repercussions. I've been by Bill's house on Lake Washington, believe me, he doesn't need the money.

But see, here's the fatal flaw with this whole story. If only about 20% of computer users are still using XP, why would hackers want to waste a second of their time trying to hack into XP systems? I'm sure they're going to be busy coming up with ways to get around whatever fix MS comes out with for the newer systems, and wanting to gain access to the 80% of computers using newer OS's.

Most ATM's were running on XP and the banking industry was trying desperately to get them all converted over. Maybe XP is just easier to hack for a low skilled hacker? All I know is anyone running XP has missed quite a few newer versions, some bad and some good. No software company makes their software reverse compatible indefinitely. I am very happy with windows eight now that I have gotten beyond the learning curve.

Internet Explorer pretty much sucks and has for quite some time.

If Microsoft was doing this kind of crap back in the 60s and 70s, they would have been hauled into court by the justice department and broken up (remember Ma Bell). Now it's money talks and they can do pretty much whatever the hell they want with no repercussions. I've been by Bill's house on Lake Washington, believe me, he doesn't need the money.

What kind of crap? What are they doing wrong? Should they be forced to continue to support an old operating system from over ten years ago? Would the justice department break up Chrysler if they no longer stocked fenders for a twelve year old vehicle? Do people still use IE? I dunno, seems like a non issue to me. :)

What kind of crap? What are they doing wrong? Should they be forced to continue to support an old operating system from over ten years ago? Would the justice department break up Chrysler if they no longer stocked fenders for a twelve year old vehicle? Do people still use IE? I dunno, seems like a non issue to me. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.
This is just one example of how MS has tried to make their products proprietary and bundle them together to try to force other providers out of the business. I'm not saying that they should support XP forever but it seems that they come out with new operating systems that aren't really much of an improvement over older systems. They just want to push you into a new os whether you really need one or not. JMHO

Yeah, but that link is for an anti-trust issue from 1998, when people complained that Microsoft wasn't charging for IE. I don't see anyone around here paying for their browser of choice these days, so...

Remember in 1968 when AMC made air conditioning standard equipment in the Ambassador, instead of an option? Did GM and the rest complain that AMC was bundling A/C with their cars?

As for whether or not the new operating systems are an improvement - right. They haven't been in my case. I actually miss the reliability of XP in my past systems. But whatever OS is current is what is installed when I buy a new computer every few years so they'd get my money even if they didn't come out with newer systems.

Auto Transport Service
Back