• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another case of "old is better than new"

That's a nice set up! Looks like it can handle 2000 to 2500 square feet.
They are available in multiple stack pipe sizes from 6" to 8" and crimped on bottom or top. I think they used to be made in 5" & 9" as well. not sure anymore. Still available on Amazon, ebay, Northern Tool & other places.

Im also pushing 60 and have been doing this since about 16. Its a tough way to make a living but it has been good for me. yeah cars suck engineers suck where they put the oil sender sucks but thats how it is, And I stick by what I said, If it was easy anyone could do it.
I'm failing to find the part where I disagree with any of that....
Just what, specifically, have I written in this thread you find fault with?

This one burns really clean, actually. I know what you're talking about, and I really only get a whiff when it runs out of fuel and kinda puffs out at the end.

It's well below freezing here currently, and I needed to do some repairs to my truck so I had to warm up the garage. My kero was empty, but I had 5g of diesel. I was a little gunshy about feeding it diesel, but...no odor, no smoke. Nice and clean. I forget what brand, but it's red...red torpedo, black belly tank for fuel. I've been extremely happy with it.
Wonder if the low sulfur diesel has improved the burn smell. I am about to try some in the kerosene heater. Can buy 3 gallons or diesel to one of kerosene here.

Wonder if the low sulfur diesel has improved the burn smell. I am about to try some in the kerosene heater. Can buy 3 gallons or diesel to one of kerosene here.
I put diesel in mine and it doesn't seem any different than kero

Same here, no noticeable difference in odor (again, until it flames out on an empty tank and you get that one last "whuff").

No humidity increase, either - but I keep a dehumidifier running in the shop anyway since I store my audio production electronics there. The room is insulated, just not heated, and it does stay pretty dry.

I used to heat my old house with a pellet stove and LOVED it, but it's more a steady-use thing than the intermittent, "I need to warm it up right now so I don't stick to my tools" shop use. The torpedo is perfect for on-again off-again heat. Much as I'd love to be in the garage every night after work, I don't have the a) energy or b) budget to do that!

Auto Transport Service
Back