• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another closure. Atco sets into the sunset.

fullmetaljacket

Local time
9:32 AM
Reaction score
This is deflating.
The streets are going to respond.

0-1.jpeg

NY National speedway.... Englishtown... now Atco.... the images and experiences of our youth slowly fade into the sunset.

Someone said that their Facebook site was hacked. Their web page does not say this.

Someone said that their Facebook site was hacked. Their web page does not say this.
I hope so. If so, freakin' tech has us all fooled in the short term. Englishtown went the same way as far as time from announcement to actual closure of the track surface.

Posted to their Instagram account 3 hours ago:
Untitled.png

Sad if it is true. Now all of those within driving distance, when was the last time you were there racing or spectating to help keep it open?

All should think about this and support your local tracks.

Last edited:
I can't see it being true, they just spent a bunch of money on new track equipment. We went through all of this a couple of years ago when Coparts was trying to buy the track to put there wrecks on, Pinelands commission wasn't going to have a "junkyard" so the sale was shot down. Capone ( the owner) was offered something crazy like 9 million for the track that he had paid 3-4 million only a couple of years prior. I'm told when the deal was shot down by Pinelands he still had it up for sale and there was a interested party but a deal couldn't be struck. Since then they have been improving the track, buying more equipment. There have been rumors about the closing of Atco for many many years. Until I see them demo the track i won't believe it, can't believe it, don't wanna believe it.

I can't see it being true, they just spent a bunch of money on new track equipment. We went through all of this a couple of years ago when Coparts was trying to buy the track to put there wrecks on, Pinelands commission wasn't going to have a "junkyard" so the sale was shot down. Capone ( the owner) was offered something crazy like 9 million for the track that he had paid 3-4 million only a couple of years prior. I'm told when the deal was shot down by Pinelands he still had it up for sale and there was a interested party but a deal couldn't be struck. Since then they have been improving the track, buying more equipment. There have been rumors about the closing of Atco for many many years. Until I see them demo the track i won't believe it, can't believe it, don't wanna believe it.
With too much info flying off the racks of people's theoretical assumptions, who knows what's true anymore.
That tracks closing will affect the trip-state areas racers and put a huge long damper on North East performance businesses as well. If I were the owner of Atco, I would be putting out a serious APB asap to damp down the rumors.

Cecil, Maplegrove, Island, Beaver Springs and MIR would be the last totems standing. All of these tracks are already exhaustingly too far from a major metropolis such as New York City where drag racing is huge believe it or not.
Back in the day......or nights, with all the street racing running rampant, it's a miracle that so many tracks operated with a profit and record attendance.
Imagine if no tracks existed, it would be back to the pre Wally Parks outlaw days where county's and cities screamed for sanctioned tracks to open.
If a track out on Long Island were to open, it would be a boosted miracle. It would be an even bigger spectacle if they named it "The New National Speedway"

Last edited:
Sad if it is true. Now all of those writhing driving distance, when was the last time you were there racing or spectating to help keep it open?

All should think about this and support your local tracks.

About supporting your local tracks, so true. I am guilty as well, haven't been to a track since we quit racing 15 years ago.

But this weekend we are taking our grandson to Grand Bend Motorplex for his first in person race experience. Hope to get him interested in something real, instead of video games and VR.

The old owners bought Atco in 2012 and seems they been trying to sell it the last few years. They had a deal with Coparts but that fell through after some township meetings, so it seems they kept the lastest deal more hush hush to get it done.

Me to. It would have been nice, no decent, if they had given some kind of heads up. Guys spend a lot of money on their cars and knowing about the closure could have saved some headaches and wasted money spent.

Me to. It would have been nice, no decent, if they had given some kind of heads up. Guys spend a lot of money on their cars and knowing about the closure could have saved some headaches and wasted money spent.
Is the equivalent of breaking up over text. Punk move after so many decades. The streets are talking.

Auto Transport Service
Back