• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

another dumb question-maybe

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
12:43 PM
Reaction score
On a 63/64 B body with RB block. Will a stock hood close with a wedge cross ram installed, with air cleaners on, no scoop?

It should fit, with a solid hood, No holes cut, and just the standard Pie Tin air cleaners. That was a Factory design in '63 & '64...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the majority of Max Wedge vehicles did not have scoops.

I believe that Max Wedge cars had the under hood bracing cut out regardless of scoop or not. Must be for air cleaner clearance.

I believe that Max Wedge cars had the under hood bracing cut out regardless of scoop or not. Must be for air cleaner clearance.
Dave, You may be Right about that. Lots of pics available, but show cars with hoods down, engine bays, but few of the Stock underside of hood...

After looking at some other pics, the Inner Hood X-bracing was removed, no doubt for the Intake, Carb, Air Cleaner clearance.

Last edited:

I think this is right, also if not for clearance of air cleaners perhaps for weight?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the majority of Max Wedge vehicles did not have scoops.

So a brand new in 1964 max wedge could have been on the showroom floor with a stock flat hood? Never seen a picture of one.

I'm pretty darn sure flat hoods were fairly common. One reason they were such successful street racers. But been wrong before.

So a brand new in 1964 max wedge could have been on the showroom floor with a stock flat hood? Never seen a picture of one.
Google 1964 Dodge Max Wedge images. They will come up...

Quoting from Jim Schild's book, "Maximum Performance", the double hump Max Wedge and flat Hemi hood scoops were aluminium and were part of the Lightweight Package, first appearing in March, 1963. This package was only available with the higher horsepower high compression engines. Thus, the 11.0 compression, 415 h.p. cars never got a hood scoop from the factory. Also, 1962 and early 1963 Maxies never got factory scoops. These cars far outnumbered the all-out high compression lightweight racers that did. This book also states that hoods on Max Wedge cars had the underbracing removed for carb clearance.

When I bought Max he had a pair of edelbrock 625s. The original air filter base plates were smaller diameter because the 3447s had a smaller air horn. The air filter parts were just being reproduced and I ended up getting a pair of larger diameter bases that were for the 3705s from Jerry Stein who raced Teacher's Pet. He had just come off of winning the Summer Nationals at Englishtown so it was very cool to talk to him. "It's a '65 body with '63 sheetmetal. They don't know the difference!", I was shifting Max at 6000 RPM, "I shift at 6800!" Max came with 4.88s, "I had 4.70s made up special. Do you want a set?!" Anyway, I had bought a pair of Edelbrock 1002s for the 625s because of the hood clearance. The problem with them, at least back then, was the filter element was foam rubber and when Max burped it would set fire to the foam! I know, I should've held him over my shoulder with a towel to burp him! I was very happy to get the bases so I could use a normal filter. Max now has a pair of 3705s so everything fits.
I don't know when or where the assembly guys cut the hood bracing out but it was done to a regular hood. I found a clone that was being passed as a real MW and the hood bracing had been deburred after they cut the bracing where if you check a real Max you run the risk of cutting yourself on the burrs the assembly guys left behind.

Auto Transport Service
Back