• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another factory marking on the firewall (69 Charger). What does it mean?

But, if you had this on the firewall >
1659121326805.png
you'd really be in trouble !

You were 22 buying a brand new car, awesome. By chance was it a returning from VN new car purchase?

When I worked as a Chrysler dealer mechanic from 1984 to 2004 and when we would do the new car PDI (pre delivery inspection) we would mark in the drivers door, usually with our employee number, with touch up paint to indicate it had been completed.

You couldn’t go by the fact the wheel covers or hubcaps and antenna were on because the sales men would do this when showing a car so it looked good.

Another thought, maybe a PDI marking.

Cliff Ramsdell

When I worked as a Chrysler dealer mechanic from 1984 to 2004 and when we would do the new car PDI (pre delivery inspection) we would mark in the drivers door, usually with our employee number, with touch up paint to indicate it had been completed.

You couldn’t go by the fact the wheel covers or hubcaps and antenna were on because the sales men would do this when showing a car so it looked good.

Another thought, maybe a PDI marking.

Cliff Ramsdell
That's interesting, Cliff. Why not use a grease pencil or something less permanent than paint? The number I asked about on my firewall appears to have been done with a Magic Marker and it has certainly been permanent. I suppose, after 53 years there isn't going to be a definite determination of what this number represents.

That's interesting, Cliff. Why not use a grease pencil or something less permanent than paint? The number I asked about on my firewall appears to have been done with a Magic Marker and it has certainly been permanent. I suppose, after 53 years there isn't going to be a definite determination of what this number represents.
The touch up paint was used because it was an item that was always on hand from the parts department and most paint has a shelf life before it would become less paint and more paste. It was just easy to get when you needed one, in stock and free as opposed to throwing it out.

Cliff Ramsdell

I have a 71 road runner with a mark on the cowl that appears to be the same paint as used for the black out.

cowl mark.jpg

I am the original owner of the car, and it was there the day I picked it up at the dealer. Maybe it's a dealer mark, but I would say it was done at the factory. Thought someone else out there might have seen a similar mark before.
My ‘69 GTX (I’m the second owner, since ‘78) has a black “8” in the same place.
image.jpg

Last edited:
You were 22 buying a brand new car, awesome. By chance was it a returning from VN new car purchase?
No, it was a "just started my first job out of college and afraid the car I was driving was going to quit on me" purchase. We saved up a good down payment to buy the car. It was my understanding that the Credit Union I belonged to was ready to finance it. I checked the dealer every day for two weeks to see if it had come in. Finally spotted it on the lot (closed) on a Sunday. Found out on Monday that the Credit Union had done NOTHING about the loan, and were asking for a co-signer. That wasn't possible, so I went crying to the dealer. The salesman said, "No problem, we can finance it through Chrysler Credit Corpoation". So, they did. First payment came due, and we made FIVE. Even so, we ended up paying it off the month that the last payment was due three years later.

payment page 1.jpg

payment page 2.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back