• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another "What were they thinking" and an A body question

69 Runner

ADMIN wif a corner office (Deceased - RIP)
Local time
5:04 PM
Reaction score
Ok....I'm still working on my Duster.....yes....a lowly A body, but it will bee a good car when I'm done.

Anyway, today I carted my seats off to have the new covers put on (restuffing required otherwise I would have done them) and I started installing working on installing the factory seat belts.

"Welcome to another edition of......WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?"

The car had aftermarket belts in it and the "outside" belt was secured to the bottom of the seat, sandwiched between the seat base and seat track.

So I pull the carpet back to locate the factory mounting hole........and can't find it. But after removing some black crap from the floor (here comes the good part) I found the original bolt.....still screwed in the hole.......and CUT OFF! Yes, what were they thinking

Well after some cursing, drilling, pounding, and judicious use of an ancient easy out from my late father's tool box I got the bolt (on the driver's side) out. :HappyNewYear:

But now I have a question. The two center belts are also set up for a center belt. So the question is, "does the belt with two buckles go on the driver's side of the hump, or on the passenger's? This is relating to a 72 era A body

Thanks much

Don't know for positive but i would install them on the passenger side of hump. I was just considering most people are right handed.

UPDATE....

For whatever reason the lunkhead that "built" (and I use that term loosely) left the bolt OUT of the passenger's side. Good thing, cause no drilling, pounding, and extra cursing required. I used the WOODEN trunk divider panel as a template and made a new one out of a more correct material.

I wasn't very happy with the fit of the new piece, and after installing it (and the seat back) several times I got a fit I like. Also installed the seat bottom and the factory belts and retractors. Big steps on the lil car.

So only one of you can make a guess at my seatbelt question? I KNOW some of you also own A bodies......even though it's not something you talk about in public lol

According to the 1972 factory parts catalog and the included illustrations, the belts with the two buckles are shown mounted on the passenger side of the tranny tunnel for both the front bench seat as well as the rear seat.

Groovy....thanks:HappyNewYear:

(sssssshhhhhhh.....no center belt in the back):grin:

UPDATE....

For whatever reason the lunkhead that "built" (and I use that term loosely) left the bolt OUT of the passenger's side. Good thing, cause no drilling, pounding, and extra cursing required. I used the WOODEN trunk divider panel as a template and made a new one out of a more correct material.

I wasn't very happy with the fit of the new piece, and after installing it (and the seat back) several times I got a fit I like. Also installed the seat bottom and the factory belts and retractors. Big steps on the lil car.

So only one of you can make a guess at my seatbelt question? I KNOW some of you also own A bodies......even though it's not something you talk about in public lol

Why do you you hurt me so, Runner? Et tu? Et tu?

Auto Transport Service
Back