• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antenna cable repair

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
They installed my radio/ CD player today, but when they went to plug in the antenna, the plug end had separated from the cable. The antenna is original and in great shape. Has anyone successfully replaced the plug on the end of the cable?

They installed my radio/ CD player today, but when they went to plug in the antenna, the plug end had separated from the cable. The antenna is original and in great shape. Has anyone successfully replaced the plug on the end of the cable?
Some old time radio would probably know. I am also trying to find some one.

If you can solder there are replacement Motorola type connectors. In your case the crimp has failed and it is difficult to repair. Unfortunately the easy fix here is a new antenna.

I thought the cable was part of the antenna?

If you really want to keep the original antenna and can't find someone to solder a new Motorola connector send it to me. No charge except for the connectorand return shipping.

Anybody ever tried one of these? It is referred to as solderless.

antenna plug.jpg

Chase down your local Larry the Cable Guy he should have a Coax tool just need the end.

Anybody ever tried one of these? It is referred to as solderless.

View attachment 1306286
While the shield (copper braid) can be solderless, the center conductor will always be soldered. The connector crimps the braid, but the center conductor will just sit inside the hollow center pin without being soldered.

I called the local stereo supply place and he sold this package of plugs, 5 for 5 bucks. He said it would be simple to replace. We shall see.

IMG_20220701_160657816_HDR.jpg

Yup..
U can solder on a replacement motorola plug, but it takes special attention and skill for soldering the outside ground shield and very tiny center conductor wire..
Just my $0.02...

Okay I had a go at it. This is what was left of the original plug. I stripped the cover and exposed the centre core. The wire inside is tiny. I folded back the outer wire sheathing so it would contact the outside shell. I ran the tiny centre wire through the end of the pin and soldered it. The new plugs came with a vinyl sleeve and I added some tape to secure it. The result is the radio works perfectly. I pick up more stations than on my new car.

IMG_20220702_142759896_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220702_142950611_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220702_144349969_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220702_145708119.jpg

IMG_20220702_145859176_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220702_151848223_HDR.jpg

A job well done.
Antennas from back in the day perform well. Antennas on cars today focus on styling rather than performance.

Auto Transport Service
Back