• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antenna nut socket

Bob Sawyer

Local time
7:46 PM
Reaction score
I've ordered two different antenna nut sockets that are not the correct sockets for my '68 Charger.
Here's a pic of my antenna nut. Can anyone tell me the correct socket I need to order for my application?
Part #, vendor??

20210617_192828.jpg

First off that is not the right antenna nut. I just did my 69 but I have the correct miller tool . That is why you are getting the wrong tool.

antenna nut.jpg

First off that is not the right antenna nut. I just did my 69 but I have the correct miller tool . That is why you are getting the wrong tool.

View attachment 1127301
This is the original antenna and nut that has been on the car since 1978. Not sure what happened before then. I suppose it could have been changed in the early years.

I'm not saying it is not the one that came on it, but it's one I haven't seen before. There are adjustable spanner wrenches out there.

Bob, the indents on the retaining nut do not have the proper width to them as I have seen for the two different styles that were available for those years. The A-Body style is similar to what you picture, but it has like six indents. The B-Body style has the four indents for the 68 to 70 applications. Attached is a picture of the wrenches that we had made up for the different style of antennas.

Antenna Wrench1A.jpg Antenna Wrench2A.jpg

The 1967 antenna nut has 8 narrow slots sized like yours. My tool has 4 narrow tangs on one end and 4 wide tangs. It is stamped with J & J on the side. Don’t remember where I bought it. Was 15 or more years ago.

I’ve never seen that nut you have.

7412C64A-C6FC-440B-A483-8516856264CA.jpeg 11FE41DD-2709-4B6A-8530-599C5E59EEE6.jpeg 77A022D5-88AC-4F24-86EC-F966BCF9CFA1.jpeg C71FE04C-8B8E-4683-859B-910E405E5FE6.jpeg

Bob, the indents on the retaining nut do not have the proper width to them as I have seen for the two different styles that were available for those years. The A-Body style is similar to what you picture, but it has like six indents. The B-Body style has the four indents for the 68 to 70 applications. Attached is a picture of the wrenches that we had made up for the different style of antennas.
Thanks Richard. I wonder where in the world this oddball nut came from. It fit so well and looks so good to be as old as it is!
Well, since I have plenty of sockets for the correct nut, do you happen to have the correct nut for my '68 Charger?

View attachment 1127325 View attachment 1127326

Here's what I have for original antenna nuts on my 3 cars...

1968 Charger: Build date 12/67. I repainted the car last year & prior to that, the original paint was on this fender...
G2 (3).jpg

1968 Charger: Build date spring 68. 38,000 mile survivor...
G2 (4).jpg

1969 Road Runner, build date 5/69, 33,000 mile survivor...
G2 (2).jpg

Here's what I have for original antenna nuts on my 3 cars...

1968 Charger: Build date 12/67. I repainted the car last year & prior to that, the original paint was on this fender...
View attachment 1127385

1968 Charger: Build date spring 68. 38,000 mile survivor...
View attachment 1127386

1969 Road Runner, build date 5/69, 33,000 mile survivor...
View attachment 1127387
Ahhh! So I do have the correct nut! Your two '68's are identical to mine. My build date is 06/68.
Thanks Richard for sharing the pics and information!
Now, do you by chance have a part number/pic of the correct socket for the '68 antenna nut?

@Bob Sawyer, unfortunately I am unable to help you with the correct nut or tool. I will be over at Mike Carter's this week and he has literally cases of NOS antenna pieces that I will look through to see if I can find a match. You might have to replate it, but there are thousands of them.

@Richard Cranium, thanks for the detailed pictures. Just proves to never say never with Ma Mopar. So the question now is this specific to mid year and late production 68 Chargers or does it extend over into the other B-Body applications and others as well. Were these cars all built at the same facility? Good stuff to learn!! Thanks for the education.

Ahhh! So I do have the correct nut! Your two '68's are identical to mine. My build date is 06/68.

For duty and humanity, that's what I'm here for.

mages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeJNJx8Ym0p2oPchq1MqxMNerlMxBEGyRxt6h6yEhFdNNKg4GC6szPCzN0O69Wkvy8Eeo&usqp=CAU.jpg

Now, do you by chance have a part number/pic of the correct socket for the '68 antenna nut?

I don't, but if you find out, please let me know.

:thumbsup:

Anyone with a 68 Coronet with the same nut?

@Bob Sawyer, unfortunately I am unable to help you with the correct nut or tool. I will be over at Mike Carter's this week and he has literally cases of NOS antenna pieces that I will look through to see if I can find a match. You might have to replate it, but there are thousands of them.

@Richard Cranium, thanks for the detailed pictures. Just proves to never say never with Ma Mopar. So the question now is this specific to mid year and late production 68 Chargers or does it extend over into the other B-Body applications and others as well. Were these cars all built at the same facility? Good stuff to learn!! Thanks for the education.

My two Chargers are Hamtramk built. Being that they are built about 6 months apart, I can't say that it was a mid year change on those two vehicles. If it was changed in '68, it must be a late year change.

My Road Runner is a St. Louis build.

This is the original antenna and nut that has been on the car since 1978. Not sure what happened before then. I suppose it could have been changed in the early years.
Reading the rest of these posts shed some new light on this nut deal. I will look at my 68 parts manual to see what it says. I also will look at the tool I have and get you the number.

From my experience, the same antenna nut was called for from 1968 through 1974 for all of the A, B, C and E-Body applications. Even though you might find a variation in the part as we are now discovering, they all carried the same part number or it was superceded later in production for the different year models. That is why survivor cars with the assembly line parts can differ so greatly from a OE restored car with NOS parts that were bought across the counter.

If you look at the antenna bezels for a 68 to 70 Charger as compared to a 68 to 70 B-Body except Charger, it is very difficult to see a difference. They carry different part numbers and difference is almost impossible to view. Things to drive you crazy.

Auto Transport Service
Back