• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antique Tool Still In Use - Highly Educational

gdrill

Just enjoying "B"-ing here
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:47 AM
Reaction score
Stuck in the past, just North of Montana....
Thought you would enjoy this educational moment.

Can you name this strange old tool?

Do you know what it is?

ATT00013.jpg

Tobacco Smoke Enema Kit (1750s – 1810s).​

The tobacco enema was used to infuse tobacco smoke into a patient’s rectum for various medical purposes, but primarily the resuscitation of drowning victims.

A rectal tube inserted into the anus was connected to a fumigator and bellows that forced the smoke into the rectum. The warmth of the smoke was thought to promote respiration.

Doubts about the credibility of tobacco enemas led to the popular phrase “blowing smoke up your ***.”

As you are most likely aware, this odd tool is still heavily used by all levels of government.

I like stuff like this. IMG_0609 (Mobile).JPGIMG_0610 (Mobile).JPG

I bought this at a thrift store years ago.---It's too big (6" by 8") for most **** applications but that was not what it was made for.

A bellows used for an enema...LOL

gdrill..... maybe they had it all wrong. they forgot half the procedure....they were suppose to take the tube after removal then insert it in the throat of the victim.... therefore bringing new life because if that didn't do it...nothing would LOL

No bellows, no fumigator. Plugs in, has armed light and a switch.

Ok I'll bite.... What is that????

It's a Depolaray --An electromagnetic medical quackery device. The list of things it does not cure is smaller than the cure list. I've not been able to find a picture of another one just like this. (their are a few that look very similar).

Auto Transport Service
Back