• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Custom Trunks on the forum?

70ChargerRT

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
As soon as I get everything wrapped up on the Charger, hopefully in 2 weeks. I’m going to do what I call box the trunk in. Going to do something similar like these trunks. The only thing that’ll be a PITA will probably be the Filler Tube. I tried do some research and find some Chargers with something similar done but couldn’t find any but found a stang and Chevelle with something similar to what I want to do. I’ll probably vinyl the sides and carpet the bottom.

7DF5167D-47DE-49ED-AEE3-185EFA01AC4A.png

F25F6819-D56B-4BDC-AE13-431D0416A22E.jpeg

E82F5661-2175-4BB9-B1D7-371DD23531ED.png

B1D2F472-2923-4741-A05C-595070986621.png

Call it trunk Thursday. This should be interesting.

Someone tell me what the point of speakers in the trunk is please.

A couple 10” subs tucked away in a formed box will really round out the sound. It’s nice when you hear the bass drum thump like in person or hear the actual bass in the bass guitar. I have one lousy old Rockford phosgate 10” in my 65 and it really makes Roger waters bass lines come alive.

Yeah, I'm the guy stuck in traffic right in front of you trying to have a conversation with my Wife!

Nice looking though!

Car trunks are for the spare tire, an adequately safe jack, a secured toolbox, and the battery. :poke:

Yeah, I'm the guy stuck in traffic right in front of you trying to have a conversation with my Wife!

Nice looking though!
I’ll doubt you’ll have a conversation anyways with the exhaust thumping.

A couple 10” subs tucked away in a formed box will really round out the sound. It’s nice when you hear the bass drum thump like in person or hear the actual bass in the bass guitar. I have one lousy old Rockford phosgate 10” in my 65 and it really makes Roger waters bass lines come alive.
These guys are clueless and close minded. A pair of high quality 10” JBL is exactly what I’m using. I’ll still have a spare tire, jack and tools all hidden away. I have sound deadening and sound insulation all throughout the car. When you mount them in a box especially on the side the sound really resonates real good, especially all the way through the quarter. These old farts in here are imagining some young punk rolling up with a set of 15,s listening to rap music. How little do they know.

Nice looking though!
I've run straight pipes on my cars and trucks since the 70's. It started out with 'loud pipes saves lives' when I was riding bikes a lot so I applied it to my cars too. A full system to the bumper isn't all that loud with normal driving but man, there's no competition when it comes to fighting with someone's sub system that's vibrating all the mirrors on my vehicle......when I start hammering the throttle next to them. So far I have a perfect batting record for making them shut it down :D
I’ll doubt you’ll have a conversation anyways with the exhaust thumping.
:rofl:
These guys are clueless and close minded. A pair of high quality 10” JBL is exactly what I’m using. I’ll still have a spare tire, jack and tools all hidden away. I have sound deadening and sound insulation all throughout the car. When you mount them in a box especially on the side the sound really resonates real good, especially all the way through the quarter. These old farts in here are imagining some young punk rolling up with a set of 15,s listening to rap music. How little do they know.
I like a good sound system too but now that I'm an old fart, the only thing I listen to in my vehicles is the music the vehicle makes lol. My 66 Belvedere came with the radio delete plate and it's still in the car :D Also don't like when my neighbor 3 houses down rattles everything in my shop/house nor do I like it when some ahole vibrates the crap out of my car at a traffic light. No reason to have a billion watt sub system in a daily driver except to piss off everyone within 500 feet or more. The city's rodeo grounds is a mile+ plus from me and some times they have someone on stage that's got the bass turned up and that's all I hear at 2am. Rather listen to a top fuel dragster show.....

This thread got me reminiscing about my 69 Chevelle SS in high school. I played drums in a rock band and LOUD music was a big part of my life and identity. My morning routine going to school would be to fire it up in Mom's driveway and pop in my 8-track tape of REO Speedwagon queued up to the synthesizer intro to Riding the Storm Out. This was late 70's and we didn't have the same equipment as today, but I built an oak and black formica console for my 8 track and an equalizer with a 15 watt amp built in. This fed my powered 6 x 9s in the package tray that added an additional 20 watts. The result was impressive for the time.

Years later I found out from a friend that a woman who lived on the next street over would wake up to the sound of my pipes and stereo every morning as her alarm clock. The back of my car was aimed at the back of her house between the 2 houses across the street from me. If I was late for school, she was late for work. Good times!

Interestingly, loud music doesn't really appeal to me much any more (certain songs have to be cranked up - it's a state law). I'm happy listening to the engine roaring out as one lone song!

This thread got me reminiscing about my 69 Chevelle SS in high school. I played drums in a rock band and LOUD music was a big part of my life and identity. My morning routine going to school would be to fire it up in Mom's driveway and pop in my 8-track tape of REO Speedwagon queued up to the synthesizer intro to Riding the Storm Out. This was late 70's and we didn't have the same equipment as today, but I built an oak and black formica console for my 8 track and an equalizer with a 15 watt amp built in. This fed my powered 6 x 9s in the package tray that added an additional 20 watts. The result was impressive for the time.

Years later I found out from a friend that a woman who lived on the next street over would wake up to the sound of my pipes and stereo every morning as her alarm clock. The back of my car was aimed at the back of her house between the 2 houses across the street from me. If I was late for school, she was late for work. Good times!

Interestingly, loud music doesn't really appeal to me much any more (certain songs have to be cranked up - it's a state law). I'm happy listening to the engine roaring out as one lone song!
Used to have decent sounds in my car too....back in the late 60's and through the 70's. My shop still has a Kenwood 5150 receiver with some freebie Fisher speakers. Sold off my Marantz 2245 though. Both are early 70's stuff but now I rarely turn anything on let alone up but from time to time I will.

Every car I purchased in the last 30+ years came with a factory subwoofer and I made sure it does. Just like my love for high horsepower engines to use when wanted, I like a stereo system that sounds great...and subwoofers do that. Sounds like the comments so far think you're an irresponsible teenager who wants to 'rattle' anyone within 50'.

To answer your original question, I think boxing in the trunk is a nice finishing feature to a trunk. The purist will obviously disagree but they weren't asked imo. I would wrap the filler tube with similar colored material or different material as an accent.

One of my Chargers has a box with about 75 skin magazines from the early nineties in it,magazines like Hustler, Club,High Society, etc. A guy who we knew had a nice 70 Road Runner, worked for a magazine distributor and gave me and a friend a whole box of magazines each! Is that custom enough? Lol

Auto Transport Service
Back