• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Dodge Ram truck techs???

QuickBpBp

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:21 AM
Reaction score
Quick question. Pulling a trailer the other day with a brand new transmission and it went into limp mode going up hill... 26MPH to the floor. I had to pull over and stop and restart and all was ok after that no light ever came on in the dash. Dealership is telling me now they checked the computer and that "event" never happened. BUT then again this is the same dealership that took my perfectly good transmission out and put a new one in for a howling noise that turned out to be a front brake pad that was not releasing properly as they just found it... He basically called me a liar and said it would have shown in the computer and I said no way as I WAS DRIVING IT WHEN EVENT OCCURED!!! Very Frustrated.. So is it ALWAYS recorded even when it does not trip the light?

I don't know.... my truck has misfired once or twice over the last few years, and it never triggered the light or stored a code.

the computer will record an event when the light comes on if it sets a d.t.c .
now that said if the dealer tech is not honest he might tell the service writer no d t c set and they dont care if you saw Santa and Rudolf the tech said it did not happen. if you had a shop that has the diagnostic tester for Chrysler the history will still be there for a period of time if problem doesn't happen in [ i think ] 200 miles then self clear. most likely at 25 mph then you put your foot down the e.c.m /t.c.m may have an load % overload and shut the throttle body off [ i.e drive by wire ] your simple reset was restart. and some time you need / can remove the negative battery cable and wait 5 min for a factory reset. this might be the only time it happens as the A.A.P may have sent a bad signal.

I don't know.... my truck has misfired once or twice over the last few years, and it never triggered the light or stored a code.
there has to be a set amount of misfires in a set time frame or no d t c is set. old school take a spray bottle add warm water then cold engine and spray on wires near spark plug to see if spark jumps to ground do on all wires and cap to find

It "missed" a shift and free revved up to about 5-6k then when I went to get back on throttle that is when it stayed in what I think was 4th gear... No light came on and I pulled over put in park stopped and started again..

Check trans fluid level. Low fluid can cause that. Second, if the MIL light never came on, then no code was activated or stored.

Check trans fluid level. Low fluid can cause that. Second, if the MIL light never came on, then no code was activated or stored.
Thanks I am dealing with idiots instead of mechanics... Fluid was fine..

Several years ago the computer in my Dakota put it into limp home mode then after it cooled down, it was fine but did it again a couple of days later. No codes were set or stored. Finally got it to act up at the dealership and it showed every code in the thing. Got a new computer and it's been fine ever since. This stuff is nice when it works good but when it doesn't, it's a rpita!

Don't overlook the simple like your battery or alternator. We have a 2009 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi and a 2001 Ram Cummins. I've had intermittent transmission issues from time to time with both of them that come and go and I believe are just electrical gremlins. These "new" vehicles are all electronically controlled and sometimes the slightest electrical anomaly can spaz them out. Last summer the TC lock-up was freaking out in our truck when it was warm outside. With 170,000 miles I'm thinking maybe the trans is finally giving it up. But it was off and on and it was never consistently an issue. Later in the winter the alternator burned up and I replaced it. So now this summer, no TC trouble. Not one time since the new alternator went in has it acted up. The alternators have the regulator built in and I now think that the old alternator was hinky and causing the TC problems. Bad grounds can create strange issues, too.

The alternators are regulated by the pcm.

This is a newer truck with-out "rust" issues been through that stuff with my sons 05 Mustang...It is a 2017 with 50k on it..

The computer may need to be re flashed. Kim
They did re-flash the computer after this event... They did not do it when the new trans went in though. I thought that was a mistake as it was a different trans. they told me no it was just "plug and play"... We shall see how it behaves now..

Did they do a trans learn? In other words, they need to be hooked to the obd2 port so they can see the values, cvi’s, and so forth. It has to be done on a Cummins, so I expect that the same has to happen to the Hemi trans as well.

Has this happened previously? What year , motor, trans and style truck? Depending on the trans, the TCM could be internal (so a new one came with the trans) or external. It may not set a fault depending on what is causing the issue. Poor ground connection somewhere would be my first thought. How do you know the limp was caused by the trans? Could be ABS, PCM,TCM MGU,PPU,alternator, wiring issue. Remember the dealer tech is being paid flat rate. He makes zero not making a repair. If there are no faults and the problem is not occurring pretty tough to diagnose. If this is an ongoing issue then dealership management needs to be involved. If it's a new truck they can get a control tech data logger in it. My job is doing electrical debug at the Chrysler Tech center. Some of the issues we track down are difficult and time consuming. The average tech would have a difficult time chasing it. Being a dealer tech in the past I can see all sides here.

If its that new doesn't it have a warranty from chrysler? Take it to the next town if your local dealer isn't helping? I thought powertrain was 100,000 these days?

Auto Transport Service
Back