• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any of the new gen hemi swap?

68chargerpilot

Local time
1:57 AM
Reaction score
I was thinking if you were to aquire a wrecked dodge with a modern hemi in it, you would get engine, trans, and computer in one purchase. Drop it in my 68 charger.

Would any of the newer gen hemi engines be relatively easy to swap? Does this idea (the wrecked vehicle) even have merit or would it not work. Would the tranny even fit without a bunch of mods? Would the computer module work?

The current issue of Mopar muscle has an article about rear end performance upgrade from Street Lynx. I went to their website and was looking at front end upgrades and saw the replacement K FRAMES for the new Hemis with the modern suspension included. That got me to thinking about this.

This has been done many times. I have personally seen the car in the link below. To do it to this level though will NOT be cheap. Even doing it as you describe to a "driver" level of function may run into $30,000 doing all the work yourself. I'm talking buying the donor car, all of the parts needed to serve as hybrid parts to bridge modern electronics and old school mechanics, the expertise you may have to farm out when you get in over your head, chassis mods to your car to fit the huge transmission, the aftermarket suspension, steering and brakes, larger wheels to clear those brakes, new steering column to fit the new steering system.....THEN the body and paint!
It can be done. It has been done. The question is.....Will the investment be worth it? A strong running 440 is 1/3 the cost and faster than a 3rd gen HEMI.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/b-body-stiffening.1121/

I have a ton more than 30 into my e-body conversion. However, the thought of being able to cruise down the freeway at 85, top-down, a/c blowing, and getting 20+ mpg...was too inviting. It'll still kill the tires from a dig, run great ET's, and be totally streetable[NAG1 trans]. Nothing that I could purchase, fit...so we fabricated almost every part of the conversion. I think it'll be great-fun, and useful as well. I'm hoping to have it done....late spring. In the end, it'll be everything that the old junk wasn't. I have the entire restored driveline for my car, scattered all over my shop. It'll get used into cars I'll broom....or pieced out.

https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/threads/mas-cuda-a-long-time-coming.7651/

That is my car in the B Body Stiffening thread . You can read the thread to see what it took. The biggest issue I had was the transmission computer. I think I was on the very leading edge of making a NAG1 work in this type of swap and it cost me dearly but it is so worth it now. Yes, you will have one hell of a lot of money in this build but consider this...avg MPG in town and hiway is 20. I have had as much as 27 mpg on the hiway when I can keep it at posted speed limits. Fry the tires from a dead stop, chirps EVERY gear shift, can use slap stick shift if so inclined. VERY comfortable ride with the upgraded suspension and Lizzard Skin sound and heat coatings. It is an awesome performing car at every level from dead stop to 120mph (pegged). If I had it to do now I might consider a 6.1 or a 392. Either of those would literally scare the **** out of you I am sure. Just DO IT!!!! I have 12000 miles on mine in the 3 years since it has been on the road, ZERO problems,completely reliable.
Research the computer issues to death and ask as many questions as you can think of
I bought a wrecked 07 Charger in March 08 with 23000 miles on it. Drove it off the Coparts lot. Got everything I needed including the dash and console, sold appx $2000 in parts off it and got about $400 for the left over scrap. So I got everything for about $4k!

Contact Chris Squire, at Hotwire. He has most of the answers for the electrical stuff with the NAG. The `cuda is done mechanically, and if I didn't have so many projects....mine would been done 2-3 years ago. But I can't quit building new stuff. LOL

Wow. You guys make me wanna do this until I think of all the custom stuff. I can t believe someone hasn't come up with a plug and play solution to this. How many of us wouldn't love to do this but for a first time restoration I'm afraid it might be more then I can chew. These projects are involved enough as it is with original stuff going back into the car. Maybe one of you guys could put together a step by step instruction manual?

Maybe one of you guys could put together a step by step instruction manual?

I pretty much did....read my build thread.

I was thinking if you were to aquire a wrecked dodge with a modern hemi in it, you would get engine, trans, and computer in one purchase. Drop it in my 68 charger.

Would any of the newer gen hemi engines be relatively easy to swap? Does this idea (the wrecked vehicle) even have merit or would it not work. Would the tranny even fit without a bunch of mods? Would the computer module work?

The current issue of Mopar muscle has an article about rear end performance upgrade from Street Lynx. I went to their website and was looking at front end upgrades and saw the replacement K FRAMES for the new Hemis with the modern suspension included. That got me to thinking about this.

I'm in the process of building my 67 Belvedere Convertible with a 5.7 Hemi . . . it's all documented in my build thread . . . the wire harness is the biggest "concern" for me, I know that I can get a new replacement from Hotwire ( Chris ) but I have the original wire harness and I might give it a shot and wiring it up myself ( I have both an ECU and a TCU computer, but since I'm going manual 6 speed I will be able to get rid of the TCU . . . so my thought ( might be way off base ) is that it should make it go a little easier . . .

If all else fails . . . I'll be calling Hotwire and getting a new harness made to install in my car ( so I have a plan B in place already )

I was just going to start a thread asking the same questions. There are so many donor cars out there now with many more being added daily. This would be an awesome restomod but the cost and complexity is way out of my league as well. But again this really would be cool and something to watch as more fuys attempt and perfect it.

Auto Transport Service
Back