• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Original 67 RO/WO owners or experts here? ? on the Hemi Carter Carb

Dragon Slayer

Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
Trying to determine what Carbs actually came on the 67 RO/WO cars and was the manifold a stock manifold or already modified Vanke mod. Lots of conflicting info.

Has anyone actually seen the Cheater carbs with a 67 Date code. The Carter 4345/6 AFBs. Plenty of the C0 over the counter carbs. Thanks

Last edited:
from the dodge garage...

THE 1967 WO23 LIGHTWEIGHT STREET HEMI​

About that induction setup, class rules mandated continued use of the Street HEMI’s in-line dual quad intake manifold. The mighty Race HEMI cross ram was off limits without moving into Modified Production classes. To improve performance of this street-oriented manifold design, noted Mopar Super Stock racer “Akron” Arlen Vanke was contracted to eliminate the individual bores below each carburetor throttle blade. This improved flow and increased plenum volume. Also provided to WO23s were special Carter AFB carburetors specially massaged to look like 625-cfm Street HEMI units, but with larger 1-11/16 throttle bores to bump flow to 750 cfm.

from the dodge garage...

THE 1967 WO23 LIGHTWEIGHT STREET HEMI​

About that induction setup, class rules mandated continued use of the Street HEMI’s in-line dual quad intake manifold. The mighty Race HEMI cross ram was off limits without moving into Modified Production classes. To improve performance of this street-oriented manifold design, noted Mopar Super Stock racer “Akron” Arlen Vanke was contracted to eliminate the individual bores below each carburetor throttle blade. This improved flow and increased plenum volume. Also provided to WO23s were special Carter AFB carburetors specially massaged to look like 625-cfm Street HEMI units, but with larger 1-11/16 throttle bores to bump flow to 750 cfm.
I had a Vanke Modified Mother Mopar Hemi manifold I donated for Leann and her needs, the auction moparedtn organized...

It still seems debatable what came on them, though the dodge garage info implied they came with it. NHRA did outlaw the carbs. The Chrysler letter documentation from 67 says they came with modified inline manifold, but also state special jetted "street" carbs. Street carb are 1 7/16 primaries, not the 1 11/16 primaries like the 4345/6 have. I imagine this may be hard to nail down since the numbers were limited and I imagine most went to drag racers who started to modify within the rules.

The vanke mod manifold certainly was available over the counter or modified at home. The Cheater I have seen have the March 70 date code so over the counter.

Back in mid 80's Jims auto parts had an NOS pair I looked at didn't look at date code. Put the one I was look at down after he said $1500 for the pair

1664914975520.png

from dodge garage
Here’s a look at the modified intake manifold. Stock castings have four individual circular openings below each carburetor throttle blade. Milling them out increased plenum volume and turned the dual-plane design into a semi-single plane. This way, both banks gained access to the flow from all eight venturi. Arlen Vanke’s shop, RC Industries, was hired to perform the modification on pre-selected castings that were then shipped to the HEMI assembly plant.

I saw a service bulletin a few years back explaining the mods to the carbs there were several as I ran that intake on my Hemi and set the carbs up accordingly I will look and see if I have the notes I may have let them go with the car .

That info is out on the web I believe but would like to see what you have if you still do.

To be clear though. The vanke mod manifold was avail to be made or purchased and how to Jet the 66/67 Street carbs with it was documented. Mopar even sold the jet kit.

But my interest is in the actual carbs by # that came with the RO cars. Was it the 67 street carbs 4139/4343 or did they come with 4345/46 Cheater carbs.

I have seen plenty of over the counter cheaters dated C0 (Mar 1970). I have not seen a set dated coded in 66 or 67 to support assembly on a 1967 RO car.

Anyone could swap on a vanke manifold and cheater carbs, but what did they come with originally?

Auto Transport Service
Back