• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody use LoJack?

68rrdream

Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
Sorry. I know there was already a thread on this but it was short and from long ago.

Anyone using LoJack? Any experience with it? Where is the best place to hide it? Behind the dash I'm thinking?

I have our 3 vehicles jacked. Up here where we are now it's not really needed but still nice. We were close to the border before and there its a must. I know where they are on the rides as I watched them get done, usually they won't let you watch. Helps that a freind of mine was the district supervisor in Vegas before LJ went tits up. They are disguised as an innocuous component, not stamped with any LJ logo. When I worked at the car dealers, LJ was a high dollar add on for the sales department. Not uncommon to gaff people over $1k. I cut the purchase orders for them, I worked in parts and the cost was only around $300 or so. I'm sure the price has gone up since 04 when I last worked at a dealer. I think the current AirTag would be a good choice and you can diy. Plus it links to your phone but it may be proprietary to Apple products. LJ required you to keep an id tag on your person so when you phoned the police, they had a way to activate and track it. Of course if you don't keep it on you, recovery is much tougher. With the way law enforcement is being concentrated on priorities, the tag may be a better choice for you.

I have non-LoJak GPS tracking on a couple vehicles... Over the summer one of those vehicles was transported from Texas to California, I was able to see every stop, fuel/food/pee/sleep.. I was able the see the speed the vehicle travelled, the altitude... I had heard there would be gaps in coverage.. There were none... I had heard GPS tracking doesn't work when the vehicle is inside a metal building... I saw it while in the metal trailer, I see it in my metal building... I you lean on the fender/open a door/ the hood/the trunk I get a message on my phone withing 15 seconds... I units I'm using are Optimus MV50's, When I bought them they were $50.. A few days ago the price had dropped to $40... The service is $12 a month... Hook up is two wires, power & ground... Setting up the app is super easy...

I have non-LoJak GPS tracking on a couple vehicles... Over the summer one of those vehicles was transported from Texas to California, I was able to see every stop, fuel/food/pee/sleep.. I was able the see the speed the vehicle travelled, the altitude... I had heard there would be gaps in coverage.. There were none... I had heard GPS tracking doesn't work when the vehicle is inside a metal building... I saw it while in the metal trailer, I see it in my metal building... I you lean on the fender/open a door/ the hood/the trunk I get a message on my phone withing 15 seconds... I units I'm using are Optimus MV50's, When I bought them they were $50.. A few days ago the price had dropped to $40... The service is $12 a month... Hook up is two wires, power & ground... Setting up the app is super easy...
Nice. Hooks up to the dome light circuit?
Where would you suggest hiding the unit?

Nice. Hooks up to the dome light circuit? NO!! It hooks to battery power & ground... It transmits any time the vehicle moves in the least little bit.... Oh, I forgot to mention it has a back-up battery so if the vehicle battery is disconnected the unit transmits for six hours

Where would you suggest hiding the unit? I suggest using your imagination... They sell weatherproof magnetic boxes so you can stick the thing anywhere... I don't use one but they sell it...

Auto Transport Service
Back