• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone been to the Southern tip of Africa - Advice?

GetX'd

Making Life Great Again!
Local time
5:17 AM
Reaction score
My lovely wife and I are soon embarking on a journey I’ve wanted to take for some time now. Given her two times w/C in the last 5 years - no more waiting or saying “we’ll do that next year”. Everything is “now” as far as I’m concerned. Thus we’re heading to the African continent. South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana. 17 night in-continent trip. A lot planned and some we’re going to wing it. Thinking of renting a jeep in Zimbabwe .. checked it out - a bit pricey if you do it online and in advance - so I’m thinking I’ll cut a deal when there. Cage diving w/sharks, mountain cable cars, quads for hitting the sand dunes are just a few of the set plans. We’ll be hitting the Garden Route and the Panorama route.

Anyone been? Thoughts, recommendation's, advice - All are welcome and appreciated.
Thx guys!

Man that sounds like a trip of a lifetime! I hope you have the most bestest time.

Theme song fer ya Kev...

@kiwigtx

That's one part of the world I have no desire to visit. If I want to see lions, tigers and giraffes, I'll go to our local zoo.
If I want to see misbehaving chimpanzees, I need to only look over my side fence at home.

I have only ever met a couple of nice Safa's in my lifetime. Most of them are obnoxious loud-mouthed baboons.

It might pay to watch this on YT and read the lyrics as you listen....some are not really fit for here....but since most of you guys won't understand a word it should be fine. :lol:

I hope you have a great time.... Might want to do some research before committing.....

Isn't that place still not safe for the lighter colored people...
African War lords, anarchist still running the show, killing, raping
& taking (light colored) peoples farms or houses & land
that they (dark war lords coup) claim it's payback
"allegedly" paybacks for "DEI type Liberal Reparations" from Apartheid era

Don’t want to hear from me. Rather be low on gas on 66 with my 38 in the Coronet. Be safe Globe Trotter.

My wifes cousin married a fairly successful rugbe player for south Africas national team been livivg there maybe 10 years, says stay away spend your money somewhere safer.
Dont know much more, just that.

My lovely wife and I are soon embarking on a journey I’ve wanted to take for some time now. Given her two times w/C in the last 5 years - no more waiting or saying “we’ll do that next year”. Everything is “now” as far as I’m concerned. Thus we’re heading to the African continent. South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana. 17 night in-continent trip. A lot planned and some we’re going to wing it. Thinking of renting a jeep in Zimbabwe .. checked it out - a bit pricey if you do it online and in advance - so I’m thinking I’ll cut a deal when there. Cage diving w/sharks, mountain cable cars, quads for hitting the sand dunes are just a few of the set plans. We’ll be hitting the Garden Route and the Panorama route.

Anyone been? Thoughts, recommendation's, advice - All are welcome and appreciated.
Thx guys!
If you MUST go....please at least go with a proper guided tour group.....or else we may never hear from you again.

Thx guys!
My nephew and his family are down in South Africa (missionaries) and my brother was just there on a visit. If you're going to rent a Jeep, get as much insurance as you can afford. Their crime rate is one of the highest in the world, and there's a reason that everyone has steel bars in their windows.

May want to give Jo'berg a miss. It used to be a great city to visit. Can be very dangerous now. Head to Cape Town or Zimbabwe.

My wifes cousin married a fairly successful rugbe player for south Africas national team been livivg there maybe 10 years, says stay away spend your money somewhere safer.
Dont know much more, just that.
Im going to stick by Kiwi's words also, he's closer and knows more that us!

Our experience may be different because we did a cruise down the east coast of Africa, and didn't travel by land. In South Africa we stayed overnight at an amazing 5 star private game preserve called Phinda. I would highly recommend it. We also walked around Capetown and had no problems at all. We did take a tour into the outskirts and there were some pretty sketchy areas. I have to say Africa was one of our best trips, definitely a bucket list item.

My sincerest wishes you both have a wonderful and exciting time, and enjoy it to the fullest.

Rent one of these instead
1709861511172.png

Committed - Yeah you might say that - Flying out Monday night - over the pond to London then on to Jberg. Jberg is an in and out stop. No interest, thoughts or plans to spend any time there for multiple reasons. My sister - a world traveler has been twice and says on a 1-10 scale it’s an 11. I’m going because I want to see and experience what I can’t anywhere else. Victoria Falls, one of the seven natural wonders of the world. A UNESCO site. To me - a wildlife lover - a zoo is nothing more than modern day animal slavery of sorts. I despise them. I prefer natural habitat.

I’ve no illusions and plan safety first. If we do rent a jeep it will be for the Victoria Falls area of Zimbabwe. I started going to Vietnam, Cambodia etc 40yrs ago - everybody told me not to go - it’s not safe. Back then it was me, myself and I w/a backpack and a Lonely Planet - always a figure it out when I get there traveler. All over that whole region including Burma, the Golden Triangle and plenty more. For the first time I’ve registered both of us w/the State Dept for whatever that’s worth. Bringing “passive” weaponry just in case. At first I was thinking ABnB then decided probably not a great idea for there. I’m not as nuts and go anywhere do anything as much as when younger so I’ll be at defcon 3 at all times ready to raise that if necessary. I have my wife to think about so zero chances will be taken in regard to that. We plan on enjoying ourselves and getting the whole experience - I don’t really give a **** about SA people’s personalities - not going there to make friends. Going for reasons stated. I’m running out of third world bizarre places to go so this is going to be what it is……

But again I do appreciate all thoughts, suggestions and advice….

Auto Transport Service
Back