• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever find a XX vin not on 500 / daytona

hemi_harvester

Local time
3:37 PM
Reaction score
I was reading about the # of Charger 500 / Daytonas built.

Their is a therory that to get the # of cars built up to the NASCAR approved # it is possiable that Chrysler put (maybe just on paper) XX vin # on other cars just to get the build total up.( so they didn't have to build as many special cars)

Has any other model car from 69 ever surfaced with a XX vin like a Coronet?

OR any XX Chargers that where not L or J coded ?

I do not not think they put XX on other cars other than Daytonas.But I think they may have lied about the the number built.500 units was supposed to be built for the street was the Nascar requirement...
Jim

I think there was supposedly a total of 503 built. And because the Daytonas did such a good job of pissing off NASCAR, the next year (70) they (NASCAR) required one special car be built for each dealership.....which is why there are so many more Superbirds built.

There are stories of the same birds being counted twice by officials.....they would count a car and it would drive out of the building. The rumor is some of those counted cars simply drove around and came back through being counted a second time.

"XX" was on the Charger 500's and the Daytona's in '69.....a few of the early Charger 500's has "XS" for the first 2 digits....

Those are the only 2 cars

Auto Transport Service
Back