• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever heard of a special edition 69 Roadrunner with a Hurst emblem on the dash?

12icer

Local time
9:36 PM
Reaction score
My friend bought a slightly used Gold metallic with a gold and brown Vinyl top 69 Road Runner, 383 4spd aluminum transmission 3:54 dana posi rear. It was the fastest 383 car I ever saw, the person he bought it from said it was a Hurst special edition. The shifter had a Hurst T handle on it. I saw him drill many BB Chevys, blueovals and Mopar 440s at the strip heads up racing with it. They always wanted to see it they thought it was a 413 max wedge or something in the car. I kept it tuned for him and set the time to a place where when the torque curve peaked it would pop and he would shift. We played with it for a long time and when he sold it to another of the crowd who ran it like a dog too. The fourth owner bought it and rebuilt it, He said the crank rod journals were egg shaped. It never ran the same after he built it.

So many dealers and shops built special editions of the Mopars over the years they were a real force in the street racing world. You could get a Petty enterprises full race nascar Hemi and 4 spd setup from any mopar parts house in the late 60s and early 70s. I worked at a dealership back in the day and saw some real iron come through the doors. Had a lot of them myself, always made power easy, but not cheap.

I have a acquaintance that said he had a 70 road runner and called it a hurst special edition? I never saw the car, It was in the 70s. Gold car, four speed Hurst shifter and it had headers. He said it had a Hurst emblem (i can't remember where) It ran good, my cousin who rode in the rr and a stock r/t 440 charger said 383 was faster. But the local 69 bee hemi was a lot faster...as it should be. The car supposedly was restored last seen in the 80s in the midwest.

Last edited:
IIRC in the late '60's & 'in 70's lots of dealers outsourced cars to specialty shops prior to delivery. Some "special packages" seemed pretty available.

I had seen a lot of 383s before that one, but have never seen one that ran that strong. The second owner had to put a clutch in it and I put the transmission back in it and adjusted the clutch for him it was all aluminum and I didn’t think any new process trans we’re aluminum till they were overdrive units.

Interesting... the aluminum 833 was first available over the counter in 71, at least according to Richard Ehrenberg.
There apparently was some race units earlier. Not sure what year you were around the car but It sounds like maybe it was upgraded to a dana and a aluminum case? Pretty serious parts to add. I wouldn't doubt if there were other upgrades? Did it have headers?
I have never found anything about where the idea of a car being a hurst special edition originated from, only can say I knew of a RR owner that had a similar story. I think a dealer likely put something together. Be interesting to know what dealer. I have always wondered if there was more to the story and this is interesting to here of another gold Road Runner wearing a hurst emblem.

Screenshot_20220823-061617_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
My friend bought a slightly used Gold metallic with a gold and brown Vinyl top 69 Road Runner, 383 4spd aluminum transmission 3:54 dana posi rear. It was the fastest 383 car I ever saw, the person he bought it from said it was a Hurst special edition. The shifter had a Hurst T handle on it. I saw him drill many BB Chevys, blueovals and Mopar 440s at the strip heads up racing with it. They always wanted to see it they thought it was a 413 max wedge or something in the car. I kept it tuned for him and set the time to a place where when the torque curve peaked it would pop and he would shift. We played with it for a long time and when he sold it to another of the crowd who ran it like a dog too. The fourth owner bought it and rebuilt it, He said the crank rod journals were egg shaped. It never ran the same after he built it.

So many dealers and shops built special editions of the Mopars over the years they were a real force in the street racing world. You could get a Petty enterprises full race nascar Hemi and 4 spd setup from any mopar parts house in the late 60s and early 70s. I worked at a dealership back in the day and saw some real iron come through the doors. Had a lot of them myself, always made power easy, but not cheap.
Look at "Hurst Haven" on Facebook. John Skopos may know something about your question

Auto Transport Service
Back