• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone got instructions to make headlight vacuum canister?

Kennith

Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have instruction on how to make a vacuum canister for the headlights?

I know people are using V-8 cans for the canister but I have not been able to find a source for the valve or how it is installed.

Unfortunately my car is missing a lot of parts and I would rather spend $200 on something else if I can.

Thanks

You needn't spend $200, lots of cars used similar cans. Not just for lights, but for a/c vents, EGR, air grabbers...

This one here is closest to what your charger would have have. Years ago when I had my 69 charger, the can was rotted, so I cut the end off with the valve, and glued it to a V8 juice can with JB weld, and attached it to the bracket. Bracket on this one may not be exactly correct, but the valve type, and length is correct.

Screenshot_20220911-055627_Samsung Internet.jpg

I might have a vacum can out of a 71 I'll look later on if ya want.

You could also make a vessel out of a piece of large PVC and glue caps on it, then stick it inside
a vacuum can. No one will ever know, and it will never rust through. Just sayin!

You could also make a vessel out of a piece of large PVC and glue caps on it, then stick it inside
a vacuum can. No one will ever know, and it will never rust through. Just sayin!
These typically only rot from battery acid, road salt, and being out in the weather. Plus the originals had black paint sprayed over bare unprepped steel. Most of the paint would fall off within 10 years. On a restored car, that doesnt get used daily, and is garaged and maintained it likely will never have any of those issues. Find a good used one. Tape off the valve, sandblast it, apply a good epoxy primer, and a decent black topcoat, and you will never worry about it again in your lifetime.

Last edited:
I have a '94 Ford F150 with the 300 cu. in. straight 6. It has a vacuum canister very similar to the Charger unit. Mounting bracket might be a bit different.

You needn't spend $200, lots of cars used similar cans. Not just for lights, but for a/c vents, EGR, air grabbers...
Thank you.

If it's for a 68-69 charger, that one is a bit short in length. Also the one hose nipple that pulls initial vacuum from the intake manifold needs to be larger. The oldsmobile one I screen shot is much more closer for 68-69 provided that is the year charger the OP has
No it's off a 71

Auto Transport Service
Back