• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Have Experience with Dash Light "GEN" Coming On ('96 Dakota)?

Dibbons

Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
Left my lights on the other day, spouse gave me a jump start. Following day, "GEN" light came on. Next day it was off. Today came on again. Vehicle runs fine, appears to be charging (per dash voltmeter), serpentine belt is there, no codes evident via OBDII scanner.

I am prepared for this being just one of those things, may never get it figured out. Doing an internet search, I find more questions than answers/solutions which is par for the course. Just thought I would mention it here anyhow.

I try not to jump start a car with a dead battery. Always slow charge it if possible.
It's possible that the battery is not as healthy as it was and now it's charging harder.
But I don't know what conditions trigger the warning light.

https://www.fortrucksonly.com , go to the Dakota forum section

fore warning
it's sort of slow compared to here
but some good knowledgeable & helpful guys on there too
some are from here even

Just spit-balling here...
sort of covered

I see you have a OBD2 reader, scanner ?,
see what the codes are, if you do did any codes come up
then look up the specific codes

it could just be the alt./reg is ****
or a dead cell in the batt. etc.

disconnect & clean the batt. terminals really good

some parts places loan them OB2 readers/scanners out free
when buying parts especially, if you don't trust yours

you could also try
maybe recycle the key/ignition switch quickly on & off
without starting it
3 times, let it stand, like 30 sec.'s & then start it,
see if it temp. goes away

there's way to get the code off the dash/instrument panel too
need to look it up
I can't remember for sure

I have a Hypertech tuner reader for my
99 Dakota SLT 4x4 v8 Magnum...

a specific service manual
may be a good investment too

good luck

Last edited:
My OBD scanner picks up no codes, just the intermittent red "GEN" light on the lower right corner of the dash.

Last edited:
Key dance trick...

On, off, on, off, on. Newer models the odometer will show the codes. Older models the check engine light will flash. Example:code 23 would be two flashes a pause then 3.

I would suspect the battery is going south.

Update: After having the "GEN" light go out on its own, and after having no computer trouble codes, and after driving around normally for a couple of days this happens:

Tachometer started to swing widely, then I noticed the voltmeter was indicating a lower reading than normal. Popped the hood with the engine running, placed my portable voltmeter directly on the battery terminals, and found it read only 12 volts with engine idling.

I did not feel like dealing with it, so brought out our "spare" vehicle, an older but trusty 1992 Jeep Cherokee two-wheel drive.

Two more things.
The alternator is bad or the voltage regulator is bad.
Unfortunately the regulator is part of the ECU.
Check battery connections and make sure they are clean.
These vehicles are sensitive to battery condition and if the battery is going bad the ECU will sense this and not charge.
Have the battery tested. If its okay test the alternator.
If it is the battery don't buy a cheapie auto zoo or wallyworld unit. Hate to say it but the same goes for the alternator.
Knock on wood I've not had a charging problem on either Dakota I've owned.
One other thing. Make sure the belt isn't worn. Loosen the drive belt and spin the alternator. If it makes noises or feels crunchy you found your problem...or part of it.
Good luck!

there should be a relay inside the distributor. I bet its on its way out.
There is nothing in the dizzy related to the charging circuit.
The only thing in there is the cam position sensor which works in tandem with the crank position sensor.
The distributor doesn't set ignition timing, either. It sets injector synch. Timing is done by the ECU.

The key here is all was well until the battery was drained.
As stated before these things are sensitive to battery condition.

There is nothing in the dizzy related to the charging circuit.
The only thing in there is the cam position sensor which works in tandem with the crank position sensor.
The distributor doesn't set ignition timing, either. It sets injector synch. Timing is done by the ECU.
Ooops. Your right. I was at work not paying attention again. It should of been alternator.

Auto Transport Service
Back