• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here have catarack surgery done?

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:11 AM
Reaction score
Although I am young to have it, it looks like I'm going under the laser in a month for one eye & the 2nd eye the following month. So, who here has done it & how bad was the procedure to endure?

Don't fear the Reaper, as the song goes. I've had both eyes done while I was in my forties. I was the youngest patient in the waiting room both times, which kinda freaked me out. Had the first done in '03 and the second two years later. It will NOT give you 20/20 vision, but it'll sure help you see a hell of a lot better, IMMEDIATELY.

It is absolutely painless. The procedure takes maybe three minutes, but the pre-op and the post-op times take about an hour each. You'll probably have to sleep with an eye patch for a few days, and make sure you use the drops or ointments they prescribe!!! You'll be amazed, literally the second they slip that lens in your eye, how clearly you'll be able to see.

Since I had mine done ten years ago or so, I do need reading glasses. I also have glasses to drive at night to reduce the glare. And the chances of having to have them replaced in my Seventies is pretty high, since these are designed to last only about thirty years. It's mostly seniors that have to have this done, right?

Longer to set up the IV than do the procedure. You dont even know its being done, which was good because i'm squeamish about my eyes. You have to take it easy for a few days, nothing strenuous to keep the blood pressure down. You will be GLAD you did it. I couldnt even focus on the bowling pins right before I had my first one done 8 years ago, and they just cleaned it up with a laser last month, and it is as clear as it was when done. My other eye was about a year ago, Good vision is a blessing!

I don't want to bring gloom to the post but.... My wife had this done and has regretted it ever since! She has been back 3 times and they have actually redone this. She simply cant see as well as she did before the surgery. She has had the glasses changed 3 times as well. After everything I know I wont ever do it!

It's about 50/50. I hear stories like the above from old people I know, family, friends etc. Some swear it is easy and a great improvement, some struggle with it from that point on. Get a good doc and good luck.

Yea my wife is only 54. But she said it was painless as far as the procedure goes. She says that now there is a spot in the center of her eye she cant see around. Like a dot in the middle of everything she focuses on. They said it could be some sort of tiny scar. It has been 4 months and has never gotten better. But most people have good luck doing this. I wish you good luck.

Ahh Yes, the dreaded recto-cranial inversion ! The wife had it done, her only complaint was she had rather it was both in one shot. Her vision greatly improved. Good drugs, too !

RC...I had it done 2 years ago. Right Eye. Easy Peezy. Those that have had the procedure are now card carrying "BORGS" including myself. You get a card showing you have vision implants which some states...CA is one...require you to carry in the event of an accident. Somehow I don't see the relevance but cooperate/graduate is the theme here. You can get a lot of what the procedure is all about from You Tube which shows the entire operation from start to finish. Just get er done...cr8crshr/Tuck.

I suspect it is because of the organ donation program.. Lens and corneas are high on the list of harvested items...

Jeff

Although I am young to have it, it looks like I'm going under the laser in a month for one eye & the 2nd eye the following month. So, who here has done it & how bad was the procedure to endure?

I had the surgury about a year ago. I had them put me all the way "out", not localized. I had both eyes done at once so it would be "over". Absolutely no problem. It was the best thing I had ever done. I had wore glasses from the 6th grade on. Now I can see for about 20 miles, clearly, although I have to wear glass for up close reading, etc. ... no big deal. Do It...no problem...have them do both at once and put you all the way under...dont be awake....It is no problem. No pain, no real recovery problems. Vision was kinda blurred for about 7-8 hours until the drugs wore off....they said my eye socket muscles were still asleep and were kinda messing up my focus, but that wore off and it was fine. no pain or nuthing after , Mike

Get one eye done at a time so you dont end up like my realtors father. He had both done and is now blind. Brevard eye doctor jacked him up.

Auto Transport Service
Back