• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know how to open a hood with a broken latch?!

bcOH67

Local time
4:44 AM
Reaction score
Just went to open my hood to work on another issue and found the silver arm that you slide from left to right to release the hood is apparently broken, because I can’t get it to release the hood.
Anyone dealt with this before or know how to resolve the issue?… before I get my sawzall out

Just went to open my hood to work on another issue and found the silver arm that you slide from left to right to release the hood is apparently broken, because I can’t get it to release the hood.
Anyone dealt with this before or know how to resolve the issue?… before I get my sawzall out
What type of vehicle?

Push down on the hood a little then move the lever. If it's only stuck, it may release.

I tried. I pushed and pulled on the hood but I couldn’t get anything. Practically lifted the car off the ground but the hood wouldn’t budge. The lever is stuck and really hard to move, but when I push hard enough it swings to the right like it’s going to open but nothing happens . Then it goes back to resting position and is stuck again

Remove a grille section or bumper to get at it? Unbolt the latch or catch?

If you can get a decent look at the latch see if there's access to the cable or what remains of the latch to get a needle-nose pliers or vice grips in there maybe mask off any areas where the tool could marr the grille...if so may help to push down on the hood while doing this...just a stab not knowing your car; but had this happen on a couple cars over the decades. Try this before the saw...

Had a similar problem. Nearly lost my fingers trying to get it open. One reason I installed a 66 type of hood release in addition to the hand lever.

The release lever you move doesn't actually release the hood latch. It moves an lock out arm. Then a spring in the latch assy can move the latching lever allowing the hood to open. the spring is what moves the actual latch. What you probably have is a stuck/rusted latching lever. Hit it with some penetrant oil. Take a long screw driver and tap on the latch assy while moving the release lever. Eventually it'll free up and open.
Doug

There is a bent heavy wire that connects the external lever to the latch assembly. It's tough to see but they have plastic inserts to keep the rod in the latch. See if the rod fell out. On mine last summer the insert went bad.

Every once in a while my 65 Belvedere hood doesn’t pop up when you push the little lever over. When it does that, I bump the nose of the hood with my fist while holding the lever over. Doesn’t take much, just a light bump and the hood pops up.

Not sure if the Charger is the same as my Coronet.

Remove the gravel guard behind the bumper. That should give you plenty of access from below.

Unbolt the latch.

This should do it....

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 8.36.09 PM.png

I just had to deal with this on a 65 Barracuda parts car (yes, I know, not a B-body...). I screwed around with this every way there is without destroying anything. No dice, the hood wasn't coming open.

I got a member to take a photo of his good 65 Cuda hood latch situation. That showed me where the bolts were that held the latch to the car. I had to go up from the bottom side and use a flashlight, mirror, and 12-point wrench to remove the two bolts holding on the latch. It was four hours of seriously uncomfortable messing with it, but I got the dirty bastard in the end. It turns out the offending party was a latch frozen shut with rust. It never would have come open otherwise without a saw or torch.

the little rod popped off. get a long skinny screwdriver in there and pry the opening lever over.

Don and Remcharger are the winners!!! Got under and sure enough, that little pull rod popped out of the hole. Not sure exactly what is supposed to keep it in there but I’ve got some wire wrapped around it for now. I’ll look for the plastic piece mentioned.

Thanks to everyone who offered your help! Although I’m not sure c4 was a GREAT recommendation.

Auto Transport Service
Back