• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know this car?

PsyOps

Local time
12:25 AM
Reaction score
I'd like a 1967 or '68 roller and this one is intriguing - at least at first blush. Ad says there is rust down low & given its location (rust belt), I wonder what the road salt has done to the floors and frame rails. Does anyone know this car or have you been by to look at it? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1968 Plymouth satellite survivor - cars & trucks - by owner -...

It’s a Belvedere. But aren’t they all? I’d want to see underneath a Chicago car. It looks like it has the usual rust through on the sheet metal. Good car to build.

If you're a bozo wouldn't call him, lol

It looks interesting but the fact it's been listed for 29 days in a major metro area & is still available is likely telling you something... Not a chance I'd buy it without at least having someone local take a look & honestly ORD is so close I'd probably fly in & look myself if I were serious...

Thanks all. I was just wondering if there was someone here who had already scoped this one out. But you're right, Chicago area is an active market, so that's a little scary. Next move is to call the guy. Depending how that goes, the suggestion to go take a look is definitely on the table. I'm not a body & paint guy so I want to start with the best body I can find. It being a post car doesn't bother me; in fact, it adds rigidity to the car. Drive train is insignificant - it would get a big upgrade. We'll see how it goes. I appreciate the responses.

If your leaning toward serious interest in the car I sure there are members here that would go have a look & evaluate the rust or lack of rust... Cause that's gonna be your biggest hurdle..

If it's in decent enough shape, that would be a great candidate for a modern Hemi transplant.

Start a new thread asking if there's anyone in the Oak Brook/Napierville area willing to have a look..
Make sure Oak Brook/Napierville is in the title so it can be seen without opening the thread...

Last edited:
Definitely call or get the inquiry in now. Possible it sold and the fella hasn’t taken the ad down yet.

LOL
That is not a rust belt car.
that is a car that was brought here and maybe driven in a couple winters before being put away, or maybe sat in someone's yard in the grass for a while before it got moved to storage or otherwise. My guess is someone moved here and drove it one winter and then parked it without really cleaning it up good enough for storage.
It costs 17k because around here that is a super clean car. It hasn;t sold because outside of chicago or maybe milwaukee/madison that is big money for a project car. Rural people work in factories for $14/hour here and buy 20 year old homes for $150-200k.
It is a rare thing indeed for someone from somewhere else in the country to desire a car from around here to move out LOL. usually it is the opposite, we all sit in envy and drool over what "beater projects" look like from other parts of the country. But that's all part of living here. Paying east/west coast price for shipping something or even parts is difficult. I can take the wife out for dinner at night and have more then I can eat of really good food, drink 4 pints, and get a bill for $45 for the two of us. It's just how it works around here, you adjust for it.

LOL
That is not a rust belt car.
that is a car that was brought here and maybe driven in a couple winters before being put away, or maybe sat in someone's yard in the grass for a while before it got moved to storage or otherwise. My guess is someone moved here and drove it one winter and then parked it without really cleaning it up good enough for storage.
It costs 17k because around here that is a super clean car. It hasn;t sold because outside of chicago or maybe milwaukee/madison that is big money for a project car. Rural people work in factories for $14/hour here and buy 20 year old homes for $150-200k.
It is a rare thing indeed for someone from somewhere else in the country to desire a car from around here to move out LOL. usually it is the opposite, we all sit in envy and drool over what "beater projects" look like from other parts of the country. But that's all part of living here. Paying east/west coast price for shipping something or even parts is difficult. I can take the wife out for dinner at night and have more then I can eat of really good food, drink 4 pints, and get a bill for $45 for the two of us. It's just how it works around here, you adjust for it.
DD, I know what you're saying. I've lived in San Diego, Miami, Virginia & NYC before ending up out here in the Pacific NW. I cringe at what folks in the Mid-West & East pay for clapped out cars. I've heard of a guy out here who collects good sheet-metal & hauls it to Carlisle every year. Sale of those doors, fenders, et al., puts a tidy sum in his pocket & pays for his trip. And I certainly didn't mean to cast dispersion on folks outside urban areas - the folks you describe are the backbone of this country and deserve far more than they currently receive. Ok, rant off. As for the car, I was amazed no one in the general metro Chicago/Midwest hasn't already scooped it up. I'm going to take 1 Wild R/T's suggestion to start another thread hoping someone in the Oak Brook/Napierville area has seen it or can do a quick visit & report back before I get on a plane. I'm also going to give the guy a call on Sunday afternoon.

DD, I know what you're saying. I've lived in San Diego, Miami, Virginia & NYC before ending up out here in the Pacific NW. I cringe at what folks in the Mid-West & East pay for clapped out cars. I've heard of a guy out here who collects good sheet-metal & hauls it to Carlisle every year. Sale of those doors, fenders, et al., puts a tidy sum in his pocket & pays for his trip. And I certainly didn't mean to cast dispersion on folks outside urban areas - the folks you describe are the backbone of this country and deserve far more than they currently receive. Ok, rant off. As for the car, I was amazed no one in the general metro Chicago/Midwest hasn't already scooped it up. I'm going to take 1 Wild R/T's suggestion to start another thread hoping someone in the Oak Brook/Napierville area has seen it or can do a quick visit & report back before I get on a plane. I'm also going to give the guy a call on Sunday afternoon.
I didn't mean to infer you were downplaying the area here!
Just I think sometimes our country isn't fully aware of what other parts of the country are doing :) Just in general.

I work in Chicago a few times every year, most of the companies don't seem to have any problem spending $$$ '& the folks who work there seem to be doing alright....

I have companies that every time they are going to be running my equipment they pay to fly me in, put me up at the Hilton for a couple weeks & then just want me to be available if they have an issue...

But there are a few that fly me in, as soon as their issue is fixed they want me gone, often I solve the issue in an hour or two.. So they don't want to pay for anything more, except my contract sez if I fly in I get a minimum of 8 hrs plus travel & expenses..

I prefer not to do work for the latter & suspect they don't treat their employees any better...

The CL ad timed out. I spoke with the man today (Pete). He still has the car. Apparently he is a big collector with 4 different warehouses & multiple homes. He sent me a video of his all steel 41 Willys coupe w/572 Chevy crate engine, Ford Fairlane, AC Cobra, 71 Hemi Cuda plus 1 of 5 first generation Camaros he owns among others (primarily a Chevy guy). All his stuff is museum quality - this guy is legit. He's never driven the Willys or the Hemi 'Cuda. He's selling one of the houses & is moving the Plymouth to one of his warehouses this week. He is going to take some detailed pics & send them to me. I have a member here who is willing to visit the warehouse after this gentleman sends me some detailed pics. Stay tuned as the saga unfolds.

In 2015, I bought a '69 GTX that started life in Milwaukee. Really clean underside for the area, because it had only spent a couple winters on the street. But I burned a plane ticket to see it in person. Could be a good car, but as stated by previous posts, it needs to be checked out. Good luck with your quest. I no longer live in the Chicago area, or I would have been happy to inspect for you..

The fact my car came from that area seemed to put off potential buyers. The seller had only two serious inquires in four months before I called him, after a price drop. One guy was from Chicago, the other from Germany. I bought it on the spot after the inspection. It hammered at 81K at auction last spring, and is currently for sale in Hemmings if you want to see pictures of a primo mid western B body. (I no longer own it)

GTX Volo.jpg

Last edited:
In 2015, I bought a '69 GTX that started life in Milwaukee. Really clean underside for the area, because it had only spent a couple winters on the street. But I burned a plane ticket to see it in person. Could be a good car, but as stated by previous posts, it needs to be checked out. Good luck with your quest. I no longer live in the Chicago area, or I would have been happy to inspect for you..

The fact my car came from that area seemed to put off potential buyers. The seller had only two serious inquires in four months before I called him, after a price drop. One guy was from Chicago, the other from Germany. I bought it on the spot after the inspection. It hammered at 81K at auction last spring, and is currently for sale in Hemmings if you want to see pictures of a primo mid western B body. (I no longer own it)

View attachment 1496105
That's an awesome looking car 'Blue!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back