• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone play around with electronics?

68gtxman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:00 PM
Reaction score
image.jpg
i just put together this little C51 clock kit in about 20 minutes. It costs less than $2 and it gave me a great sense of accomplishment on this rainy Sunday afternoon. I’ve assembled about a half dozen kits from infrared relay controller switch to variable voltage power supply. Anyone else play with electronics? Post them up!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/YSZ...lgo_pvid=1ffcf878-f98e-45d4-b5f8-dc0414c317a5

A little. I contract as a flight simulator technician.
From replacing bulbs in panels to wiring for the instruments.

I built this several years ago from the schematics, I built it on a temp board to make sure it would work, then I did the layout and design for and then etched the circuit boards and mounted everything in a small cabinet. I probably could have made the boards much more compact, I am not the best at designing but it worked. I use it all the time in the spring and summer, its a 300kHZ am radio really, but at that frequency nothing broadcasts so its used for lightning detection and listening.
ld bread board meter and detector.JPG

Lightning detector circuit board.jpg

DSC02956.JPG

DSC02965.JPG

DSC02967.JPG

I don't have a picture, but the amp gauge is now used for distance approximations and the sensitivity knob allows me to adjust when storms are within 20 miles so its not always pegging the needle. I have actually heard and detected lightning on this up to 300 miles away.

I built a Bulshit Detector. I had a lot of fun with it at a local Bar and a Mopar swap meet. It overheated at the swap meet and started a fire.

Not a great pic, but I’ve built several handwired Marshall clones from Ceriatone amplifiers. This one is the JMP model called “plexi brown” for that “brown sound” from Van Halen. It has it for sure but it’s gotta be at eleven! Did I mention it’s 100watts? Ears will bleed when volume is on eleven
EB582768-E996-47B7-9CB4-40EB2F548B83.jpeg

Dad a Ham, worked for Hallicrafters for some time and always had some toys he was soldering on. At 85 he's had me do a couple kits for him as his sight ain't what it used to be.
upload_2019-3-31_18-13-5.png

I started to get into electronics right when HK turned south. The "kits" were gonna' be fun but I only built this one, Lol.
12VoltPS.jpg

Just trying to repair some stuff like when you sit on your remote and crack the display...….
Logitech1.gif
Logitech3.gif

some cap replacements....
upload_2019-3-31_18-26-4.png

upload_2019-3-31_18-1-26.png

I built a Bulshit Detector. I had a lot of fun with it at a local Bar and a Mopar swap meet. It overheated at the swap meet and started a fire.
Oh damn, that's funny shiyat right there. :lol:

I collect table top models. Couldn't find my F4, but here is something you may have wrenched on.

P1014424.jpg

Not necessary electronics but I built a power supply for brewing. Thermocouple controlled with a PID controller and a SSR (solid state relay). It works well. I added a AC volt/amp meter to keep track of things.

Resized952018030795101911.jpg Resized952018030695150958.jpg Resized952018030695122603.jpg

I collect/ repair/ restore tube and transistor radios. I have a couple hundred. I am partial to Zenith, but have them in every flavor. I have three Crosley radios that are referred to among those in the hobby as dashboard radios because of their resemblance to 50's - 60's dashes. I have restored one of them and have included a pic of it. I've worked on a few car radios. I have made a remote for my RT to lock / unlock the doors. I have installed on a few cars a kill switch of my own design that automatically arms when you turn the car off. I always thought that a main problem with kill switches that you have to manually arm is that people forget and also after awhile get tired of setting it every time. I am currently fiddling around with a Steampunk project putting small neon bulbs into dud radio tubes to simulate the glow of the tube.
1241.jpg

Last edited:
I collect/ repair/ restore tube and transistor radios. I have a couple hundred. I am partial to Zenith, but have them in every flavor. I have three Crosley radios that are referred to among those in the hobby as dashboard radios because of their resemblance to 50's - 60's dashes. I have restored one of them and have included a pic of it. I've worked on a few car radios. I have made a remote for my RT to lock / unlock the doors. I have installed on a few cars a kill switch of my own design that automatically arms when you turn the car off. I always thought that a main problem with kill switches that you have to manually arm is that people forget and also after awhile get tired of setting it every time. I am currently fiddling around with a Steampunk project putting small neon bulbs into dud radio tubes to simulate the glow of the tube.
View attachment 742808
That's sweet.

I build tube guitar amps from scratch. Right from laying out the chassis on aluminum sheet, punching and drilling the holes, making the cabinet on my table saw, painting, labeling, wiring, everything. I’ve built a few radios and transmitters, as well.
As per the front panel label, my last name is Carman

95AEFE5A-1297-430B-A77C-ACA9DC78AB56.jpeg 7C5F217A-7259-493F-851F-50F9FDC433C5.jpeg A34606F5-1C6B-4D5E-BB44-B424BDAC1514.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back