• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Wish They Could Go Back and Buy One?

340challconvert

Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
upload_2020-7-7_10-44-53.png

I am sure there is pat load of folks who'd like to do just that! Unfortunately, in my case, I was only 11 years old, LoL!

Lakewood blvd became Rosemead blvd about five miles north of Yeakel Bros, and i lived in Rosemead at the time. I saw their adds on saturday morning television ( on a b&w 15") all the time.
I was "into" cars at a young age but not yet into the drags. Didn't know or care that Yeakel bros. sponsored a top fuel car too, at the time.
Yeakel brothers main mopar competitor was Worthington Dodge, Cal Worthington and his dog (which was NEVER a dog) Spot.

My dad bought a new 1963 Savoy 4 door sedan with a slant 6; sure was not a Super Stocker. I was also only 11 years old at the time. Price was amazing for a race ready Mopar coupe, even back then. I think my dad paid $2450 for the Savoy!

Lakewood blvd became Rosemead blvd about five miles north of Yeakel Bros, and i lived in Rosemead at the time. I saw their adds on saturday morning television ( on a b&w 15") all the time.
I was "into" cars at a young age but not yet into the drags. Didn't know or care that Yeakel bros. sponsored a top fuel car too, at the time.
Yeakel brothers main mopar competitor was Worthington Dodge, Cal Worthington and his dog (which was NEVER a dog) Spot.
(And that was a GIVAWAY price, even then! My folks bought a new 63 Impala with a 230 six, and paid $2600!)

At that price, I'd like to go back and buy all 7. My 63 Dodge 440 was purchased specifically for racing and that is how it spent most of it's life. It still only shows just over 7000 miles on the odometer. Also still has the class winner stickers from 1964 in the window.

At that price, I'd like to go back and buy all 7. My 63 Dodge 440 was purchased specifically for racing and that is how it spent most of it's life. It still only shows just over 7000 miles on the odometer. Also still has the class winner stickers from 1964 in the window.

Past time to get some new class winner stickers don't you think? :poke:

:lol:

Come to think of it, Yeakel sponsored a super stocker too, and their main competitor was another local socal plymouth dealer, Milne Bros. plymouth. Milne fielded two super stockers as well.
And one of the drivers for Lou Baney's Yeakel Bros fueler, was non other than Tom the mongoose McEwen.

Last edited:
To bad they can't make cars that go like that at an affordable price.
$2800 inflation adjusted is $23,670. Why can't FCA redo A Hell-Roadrunner for say $39,995.00 .

$2800 inflation adjusted is $23,670. Why can't FCA redo A Hell-Roadrunner for say $39,995.00 .
Well, the original Hellcat was supposed to be $60k but the dealers marked em up 15 to 20k over sticker. I would love to have a trackhawk, but sticker now is over $100k on the one i saw.

Last edited:

Fran Blacker, You nailed it!!!!
Take the original Road Runner idea, and do it today, that would be a GREAT IDEA.
Big engine, manual trans, (of course all the government mandated crap) but no heated seats, give me CRANK windows, no A/C, even ditch the carpet, give me that rubber mat, just go fast striped down factory car.
The Mopar 1320 is a good idea, but still to much cash.

I am a true Mopar enthusiast, guys like us are what keep Mopar alive, but I couldn't afford the 6.4 Scat pack, I had to settle for the 5.7, I love it, but a 5.7 is NOT a 6.4.
Modern Road Runner GREAT IDEA!!!!

In 63, I was 16 and followed Hot Rods in magazines. I really didn't follow Mopars or know much about them but did know they were competitive in NASCAR and Big Daddy's Dragsters. I bought a 51 Buick for $250 and $2795 would have just been a dream at that time. That old Buick got me through High School and the 2 years of college that I got, along with about a year of my first real job which I kept for 31 years. I always was able to live a decent life with the amount of side jobs I had for extra cash. $2795 for a dedicated race car was not something I couldn't live without back then. Yes, I realize that is a great price for that car at that time, but it was well above 80% of the people around here's means. Hind site being 20/20 maybe I should have financed one and kept it all these years, but the interest and the means were 2 different things then.

I was 17, had a brand new 63 Biscayne 2 dr. red inside and out with a 6 cyl. about $2600. This car replaced a 63 Corvair Monza my dad bought for me which I totaled when it was about 2 weeks old. After the Corvair disaster he made me walk for about 5 months and bought me the Biscayne. Best I remember the Corvair was around $2300.

Time to fire up the ol' time machine :thumbsup:

But;
in 1963 an average house was like $7k-$12k
even here in California

perspectives & values are a tad different

1963 I was 4 y/o, still working on my lil' red wagon
or maybe my Flexyflyer

Now IF I could go back in time
I'd buy everyone I could find for that price
put them in a hermetically sealed containers, to last until I was old enough
to drive them in the future, probably wear them out
July 1974 when I got my permit or July 1975 when I got my drivers license

I'd rather go back to 1968
& get all the LO23 & BO29's Hemi Dart & Barracuda
I could get my hands on
68 Dart Hemi SS LO23 A-body Spec.s Advert. #1.jpg

68 Barracuda Hemi SS BO29 & 68 Dart Hemi SS LO23 #1.jpg

or 1969 & buy every Daytona Charger & 69.5 A12 I could find
69 Daytona Charger lot Car Craft #1.jpg

69.5 Roadrunner 440-6bbl A12 R4 #1a article.jpg

69.5 Super Bee A12 440 Six Pack Advert. #2 Ralley Green.jpg

make a stop at Grand Spaulding Dodge
69.5 Super Bee A12 440 Six Pack Advert. #3 @ Mr. Norms.jpg

or 1970 & buy every Superbird & AAR 'cuda or T/A Challenger I could find
70 Superbird Press release #1 Autoweek paper Nov. 1969.jpg

70 Superbird Press release #2 waiting to go out.jpg

70 Cuda AAR & Challenger TA Trans Am SCCA advert. #1.jpg

I'd even take yellow :poke:
70 Challenger TA Advert. #1.jpg

I know that a wicked car but the shape does nothing for me. Give me a bunch of 1969 Hemis.

Budnicks you are so right..
I'd rather go back to 1968
& get all the LO23 & BO29's Hemi Dart & Barracuda
I could get my hands on

Buy all the unicorns brother...

65 Belvedere AWB AFX Plymouth Chrysler Engineering production #2.jpg

65 Belvedere AWB AFX Plymouth Chrysler Engineering production #1.jpg

65 Belvedere AWB AFX Plymouth Chrysler factory altered wheelbase Advert. #1.jpg

65 Belvedere A990 AFX Plymouth Drag Race Car Adert. #1.jpg

65 Belvedere 426ci Hemi Milne Bros. Pasadena Ca. Sale Advert. $2200.jpg

Don't get me wrong I still love all the
413-426 MX cars, great part of drag racing history
even the far more RARE HEMI, A990 or AWB AFX & S/S cars
62-65 Plymouth Super Stocks, especially 64's & 65's
or
the 62-65 Ramcharger offerings
even the AWB cars Chrysler Engineering was campaigning

Chrysler Engineers & Racers Ramcharger Tom Hoover & Dan Mancini 1963.jpg

Chrysler Engineer Tom Hoover 62 413ci Max Wedge.jpg

Chrysler Engineers & Racers 60's Dodge Plymouth.jpg

Chrysler Engineers 426ci Hemi's Engine shop 1969 NASCAR single 4bbl lined up.jpg

I'm just more of the 1968 - 1970 guy

Can you imagine showing up with a turquoise maxwedge? You would have to carry Hoovers picture with you!
And really, was all that sheet metal/fiberglass only 40-some pounds? No wonder chevy and pontiac gave up, and ford had to put their biggest and best in a fairlane!

Auto Transport Service
Back