• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Applying new decals to the outside of my 74’ RR. Repo stickers recommend cleaning with Naptha but no stores near me have it. Any alternatives to use?

tonyp25

Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
Naptha (a cleaner I never heard of) is recommended to clean the surface in order remove any wax before applying the decal with a mixture of water and dish soap. Instructions state to clean it a whopping 10 times too.

Hoping I don’t need to spend $40 on Amazon for it…the car also has a very thin amount of clear coat left (if it even has any at all at this point) and it seems like Naptha could damage the paint too.

Naphtha is Coleman camp stove or lantern fuel. Any hardware or sporting goods store will sell you some cheap.
Thanks, that just doesn’t seem like something I want to put on my paint to remove wax buildup. Maybe I’m being overprotective

This should work just fine. It comes in smaller cans; and I've seen it at Lowe's Hardware.

S-19595~2.jpg

White Spirits is fine....just wipe off as you go....don't pool it up and let it sit too long.

Oh, and don't try and buy it on Halloween night......funny story about that one last year.

Thanks, that just doesn’t seem like something I want to put on my paint to remove wax buildup. Maybe I’m being overprotective
You asked for Naptha... and Coleman camp fuel is just that. After the naptha you want to wipe again with 99% rubbing alcohol.

Everything you need to know starts here...
1969 Dodge Super Bee Coupe Restoration

I would strongly dissuade you from using naptha. It is highly flammable and easily combustible. I won't go into a long story about how I found out in the garage a long time ago.

I would strongly dissuade you from using naptha.
Doesn't Naptha contain some... oils? Something not far away from Diesel Fuel/Paint Thinner/Kerosene? Or is it really volatile like Acetone/Brake Cleaner/Carburetor Cleaner?

If it's oily, maybe that's important to remove wax. But a follow up to remove the oils left behind would then be needed, wouldn't it?

Naptha (a cleaner I never heard of) is recommended to clean the surface in order remove any wax before applying the decal with a mixture of water and dish soap. Instructions state to clean it a whopping 10 times too.

Hoping I don’t need to spend $40 on Amazon for it…the car also has a very thin amount of clear coat left (if it even has any at all at this point) and it seems like Naptha could damage the paint too.
If it was my car, I would probably use a clay bar after a good wash, then start on the cleaning agent - whether it be white spirits or Prepsol as mentioned above.

Like it's been mentioned, white gas or Coleman stove fuel is naphtha. Another source, if you want a smaller amount, is a bottle of Zippo lighter fluid.

I’ve always used the 3M adhesive remover pictured in a previous post…

Bug and Road tar remover work followed by the alcohol wipe down. On the 3M solvent shown above, get the red label stuff. If they try to sell you the yellow label, don't buy it. It does not get along with paint or non painted/textured plastic trim. Jacks it up.

Fels washes away oils. Great on poison ivy if you wash contact area in a reasonible time.

Auto Transport Service
Back